cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Adding a 5 port switch to HH3 - help please?

Go to solution

As you know the HH3 has a gigabit port, I have a NAS that also has a gigabit port, so I have plugged my NAS into that - that way the NAS can transfer at 1000mbs.  My LAN adapter on my pc is gigabit enabled, but because it connects via the 100 meg ports i dont get get a gigabit connection.  I have just ordered a Netgear switch so that I can have a full gigabit network.

Can somebody please explain to me what I plug into where when it comes - I dont want to mess anything up.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
proterra
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Adding a 5 port switch to HH3 - help please?

Go to solution

You have to alter the properies of your Lan adaptor in device manager and go through all the tabs and there settings . I'm at work so cant check. but there is a setting to choose between 10 or 100 or automatic. I bet its set to 100 so choose automatic, disconnect and reconnect and you should have a 1000 gigbit network connection. I had the same problem recently and it took me agaes to figure out

0 Ratings
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, there is no setting for 1000mbps, however if i plug my lan cable into the gigabit port on the homehub it does pick up the 1gb connection.  But then I have used my gigabit port, so I have ordered a switch so my NAS can operate at that speed too, as your network is only as quick as your slowest connection.

I just need to know what to plug into where - in short I can have my PC showing as 1gb, but NAS not or vice versa hence orderering the switch - hope that makes sense?

0 Ratings
proterra
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I would think that you just the NAS & PC into the new switch and then to the HH3 that should do it. Isnt there a USB on the HH3? would that be quicker?

Just seen this another forum

If anyone is interested, I've just connected an external 500GB NTFS formatted hard drive to the USB port on my HomeHub V3 and it works fine, quick enough to play video.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Hmmm, not sure I do know that in theory a gigabit connection is more than twice USB 2. I cannot connect my nas via USB it has an ethernet port only unfortunately.

I wonder if I plug a cable between the gigabit port on the HH3 and the switch, then just plug the pc and NAS into the switch?
0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@1TonyCurrie wrote:
Hmmm, not sure I do know that in theory a gigabit connection is more than twice USB 2. I cannot connect my nas via USB it has an ethernet port only unfortunately.

I wonder if I plug a cable between the gigabit port on the HH3 and the switch, then just plug the pc and NAS into the switch?

Hi there,

Here's what I would do in your situation:

Firstly run a length of CAT5E or CAT6E cable between the Gig-E port on the hub and the switch, then just run a length of CAT5/6E from the switch to each of the peripherals that require gigabit access.

It doesn't matter what ports you plug your peripherals into; they'll all the same and don't need to be populated in any specific order. 🙂

I hope this info helps. 😄

0 Ratings
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks very much for the reply Rottie,

I will let you know if it works 🙂

0 Ratings
proterra
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Jumping on the bandwagon . My son has his Xbox and PC plugged into a gigabit switch in mhis bedroom. this is connected by 85Mbs Homeplugs at present to the HH3 . So even if I get 250Mbs Homeplugs thts themax it bwill run at not 1000mbs? I would need another gigabit switch at the hh3 end cos I'm using the Gige port for my PC.

Is there a better way ? running cables not possible due to fitted wardrobes etc.

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@proterra wrote:

Jumping on the bandwagon . My son has his Xbox and PC plugged into a gigabit switch in mhis bedroom. this is connected by 85Mbs Homeplugs at present to the HH3 . So even if I get 250Mbs Homeplugs thts themax it bwill run at not 1000mbs? I would need another gigabit switch at the hh3 end cos I'm using the Gige port for my PC.

Is there a better way ? running cables not possible due to fitted wardrobes etc.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, you won't be able to give the Xbox gigabit access. 😞

The Xbox only has a 10/100 ethernet adapter on-board, so it physically can't connect/achieve throughput over 100Mbps.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 😞

0 Ratings
proterra
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

OK but my sons PC has a gigbit card and feeds into the gigabit switch, neither are on at same time (uses TV as monitor for both) . But wont I only get the max speed of tjhe homeplugs ie 85mbs at present or 200 when I upgrade?

0 Ratings