Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCobbett
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Adding a buffer to recordings

Hi,

I'm told by the BT complaints department that a fix for the youview box is underway to add a buffer feature for recordings. I'm having an issue with recording NBA games where the end of the 4th quarter is always cut off because the game always overruns the scheduled time. 

They couldn't give me any update on how close this fix was, but they said the support forums would be able to give me an update. Can anyone tell me how this fix is going and when it might be ready?

I know i'll be told to just record the program after, but last night the program after didn't record for some reason. And in the general NBA season I just series link all the games and then see what's recorded when I have time to watch one. They're on different nights so it's difficult to check every day to see if I need to record something after the series linked item.

Thanks,

James

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gomezz
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Adding a buffer to recordings

@JCobbett wrote:

Hi,

I'm told by the BT complaints department that a fix for the youview box is underway to add a buffer feature for recordings

It would be a big shock if they actually were as Youview have been set against having this useful feature since us triallists were clamouring for it oh so many years ago.

The only workaround is to set the following programme to record and even then you lose a few seconds of coverage as one recording stops and the next starts.  Or even worse they change the EPG mid-recording to reflect an overrun but the Youview box does not detect the change in time so stops the recording at the originally scheduled time and as the following programme you have set to record does not start as schedulled neither does its recording.

0 Ratings
JCobbett
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Do you work for BT? I've been told by several people that it's being worked on. I don't actually trust any of them to be fair though, I think they just tell you things to try and get you off the phone. (Just to be clear it's not the people you speak to's fault, they just do what they're told).
0 Ratings
Lvl_chg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I've also been told this numerous time but to no avail. 

Can an anyone from BT say what is going on with this and when it is going to happen?

0 Ratings
ggmcintosh
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

If only it would happen...I've been asking for this for ages now. I'm sick of recording prime time stuff on STV only for the last 30 seconds to be cut off leading to grief from those around me ( of course it's my fault...). And I can't watch the prog on STV player cos that's a pile of plop too. Wish I had kept my old vcr
0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

The PSB broadcasters should be able to provide accurate recordings most of the time. ITV does ( as do BBC/C4 and C5) so really there is little excuse for STV not to.

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Well it's two months since anyone posted an update re buffering. Would be shocked if BT / Youview introduced this feature as they aren't in the business of implementing common sense changes.

I am enjoying BT TV except for the way these boxes handle recordings. It's also ok to tell people to check out the Catch Up section but very little of what is being broadcast on some of the channels actually makes it on there.

The Youview boxes are the worst of any I've owned (even crappy early days Freeview recorders) in the way they implement the recording feature. At least Sky gives you the option of adding buffers pre and post programme. 

0 Ratings
Lvl_chg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Bumping this thread as BT are clearly not doing anything about this. The new NBA season is well underway and more often that not I'm missing the end of the game. 

I pi understand the quick fix of setting to record the next programme, but with a recording virtually every night this is simply not good enough. 

0 Ratings
ruth554422
Expert
Message 9 of 9

My husband asked if the next gen software would have padding in recently on the you view forum. Answer given indicated you view would be sticking with the AR technology. This issue is not down to BT though. All you view boxes have this problem this issue also effects plusnet retail and talktalk. Its down to the people in charge of the technology at you view. It's already been mentioned in the press that BT would like to buy out the other shareholders if they can so they have better influence over the technology but as you can see by bts recent purchase of EE these things take time.
0 Ratings