cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unclemo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Adding a new pc (laptop) to my BT Home hub(1.5)

Go to solution

Hi forum readers,

My wife has just purchaed a laptop and wants to connect to the BT Total BB we already have installed.

She has a hotmail email address on this laptop.

I have a desktop pc connected via ethernet cable  and this runs well.

We have one email account ( main account) that we share. We use BT Yahoo Mail/Outlook Express.

The Toshiba Satellite laptop had no problem wirelessly connecting to my BB hub(v1.5) - so far so good.

However when I tried to run the BT Total BB CD on the new laptop it asked me for an email address etc.

Now here is the dilema - can I use the hotmail email address or will it insist on a   xxxx@btopenworld type email address?

Do I have to get a sub-account set up on my hard wired pc and use that on the Toshiba laptop?

Can I use the hotmail account as the email address or will BTBB throw a wobbler?

I am reluctant to try this without confirmation that it will work.

Any assistance greatly appreciated

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Adding a new pc (laptop) to my BT Home hub(1.5)

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

the suggestions for the BT cd are to use as a frisbee or bird scarer or coaster but don't install it - tends to cause more problems than it sorts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
unclemo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: Adding a new PC (laptop) to my BT Home hub(1.5)

Go to solution

Thanks for the welcome.

I have taken  your advice and tied the BTcd to the washing line - now perhaps you'll tell me how I can bring the wife's laptop into the BT community because as of now all she has is a wireless connection (via the hub) to the  Internet.

As a subscriber to BT Total BB I want both the computers on the Hub to enjoy the same services. Not having the use of the BT cd leaves me up a pole without a ladder.

Now I guess you are an expert so please be kind to this old 'un and explain in words of one syllable how I do this.

I cannot get a BT engineer visit as I live on the IoW and the service is not offered, however I do want someone like yourself to point me in the right direction.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
tally100
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

When i've had any problrms the BT vision helpdesk have sorted it out for me , even when i had issues with trojans/software issues Just give them a call on 0800 111 4567 I would in the first instance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

now your wife's laptop is connected with wireless you can give her a bt email address if you want.  go to my account on the bt home page then sub account and give your wife her own email account with a btinternet.com address.  she can then use that address to set up bt home page and sign in with her btinternet address and receive email direct with no reference to your main account

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
unclemo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Dear imjolly,

many thanks for that straightforward piece of advice it sounds good to me.I'll try it and get back to you.

Fingers crossed - but you sound like the type of common sense person BT-TBB  needs facing customers.

Rgds

Unclemo

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

your to kindSmiley Wink

wait and see if it works though  lol

0 Ratings
unclemo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Dear imjolly,

brilliant all's well - up and running.

Many thanks

Best rgds

Unclemo

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

good to hear someone who came to the forum with a problem and left with a solutionSmiley Wink

if only that happened in every caseSmiley Sad

0 Ratings