Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdfryer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Adding a second YouView+ Box when first is connected via Powerline Adapter

Hi,

I currently have Unlimited BT Infinity 1 (40/10) with a YouView+ Box connected to my BT Home Hub via a 200Mbps Powerline Ethernet adapter without any problems - I can access "Catch-up" content and channels such as BT Sport etc (including in HD) just fine.

Having just renewed my BT packages I'm now wanting to add the "Extra Box" option. After asking the telephone sales assistant about this and briefly discussing costs I was put on hold to confirm whether or not I was able to have a second box. After a long period on hold she came back asking whether or not my existing YouView+ Box was connected to my HomeHub via a Powerline Adapter. After confirming that it was she indicated that was likely why she was not able to complete a test to confirm one way or another and therefore couldn't proceed with the order

I was then put through to some sort of technical support team to further investigate the situation. When finally answered I got through to a quietly-spoken person with an Indian accent who seemed to do no more than run the same test that was run previously. He did however claim that it was not related to the Powerline adapters but was something to do with the area that I live in and wasn't simply due to download speeds, but I couldn't get anything else out of him.

Obviously I understand that I need to have sufficient bandwidth to support watching Internet streamed content on 2 boxes rather than one, but the BT website states that "you'll need a minimum BT Infinity line speed of 23Mbps" when describing the requirement for "Extra Box". My line speed is above 23Mbps although not by much (~25Mbps) due to my distance from the local street cabinet.

The second YouView+ box that I want to add could be connected directly to the HomeHub via an ethernet cable not via Powerline adapters and I would rarely if ever use both boxes simultaneously.

Curiously the option to add "Extra Box" doesn't seem available to me online either when I try to manage by BT TV package.

Can anyone think of any reason why the option of an "Extra Box" may not be available to me? The "something to do with the area that I live in" line doesn't sound correct to me, surely it's just a question of the download speed.

Is there anyone with a similar setup that's been able to use "Extra Box" successfully? I'd be willing to get newer Powerline adapters if necessary.

Thanks. Patrick.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
andyf941
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Adding a second YouView+ Box when first is connected via Powerline Adapter

Having sky movies or sky sports are reasons for not being able to have the second box option, obviously I don't know if that applies in your case.

Andy

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

You mention having HD channels. It maybe that opting for HD extra or BT Sport in HD means that a higher broadband speed is needed. When extra box was first launched I believe the minimum speed was 34 but now seems to be 23 but I wonder whether the lower minimum is based on a SD package.

0 Ratings
dfel100
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Hi Patrick

I have both my boxes conneced by powerline adapters (bt ones) and have no issues with downlads or extra channels.

Good luck

0 Ratings
pdfryer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks everyone for the responses, I've now been able to successfully get a second box and it's working just fine. I didn't have any Sky channels as part of my package so that wasn't an issue for me.

It seems, at least according to BT, the problem was that I had another open order which affected things somehow - sounds an odd explanation to me. After telling me that one adviser also tried to tell me that I'd need to upgrade my existing box to a UHD box (£49 cost) in addition to purchasing a new Extra box (£99, which I was expecting) to complete the order. Eventually I spoke to another adviser who mentioned nothing about this and was able to successfully complete the order just by ordering a new box for £99.

0 Ratings