cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Adobe Flash Installer - Why is it throttled?

Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums but not so new to the service. We have been with BT for a number of years now however i have always noticed that when adobe flash needs an update it crawls along. At the moment it's downloading a 2.7MB file at 487bytes/second. Yep, not Kb... Just bytes.

So far 15mins in it has got to about 7% which is more then fustrating seeing as i can goto any other website and download at over 200Kb/sec  or greater in some instances.

What we want to know is why is this stupid restriction put in place? I'm getting a little fustrated with 3 pc's to update...

I have done a BT speed test and that comes back with an accepable range of about 1800kb download which is about the same as the line IP profile. It's not down to the PC as all the PC's on the network suffer the same problem (all connect via ethernet).

I have a few screenshots to show you what i mean:

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Croftie
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Adobe Flash Installer - Why is it throttled?

Go to solution

BT have been throttleing flash for years, look on youtube for "BT Traffic Managed broadband" it shows the throttled flash download.

What I do is wget it to my hosting server then download it at full speed from there. 20 seconds instead of 10 mins.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Yeah i have seen the BE vs BT flash player download... BE manages to download in about 3-5 seconds, and i gave up after 40mins by which time it had got to 13% and dropped even further to about 260bytes/second.

I know they have been doing it a while, but what i want to know is why. It's not as though flash is by any means a large download iand i really doubt that it affects the network that greatly.

If any of the mods read this, please, please, please pass this on to whoever relevant because this is just plain stupid. :[

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Yes why indeed.

I am a new BT broadband customer and was mystified yesterday evening to see how slow my first Flash update over BT BB was. It took an hour on a PC running XP SP3.

This morning after turning on a laptop running Vista  I came back to it a short while later and Flash was ready to instal. So assumed the previous evenings marathon was an unusual "perhaps one off" marathon.

Reading this thread I realise it may be routine practice by BT throttle Flash, but why?

PC

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Croftie
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I agree it doesn't make sense. But neither does throttleing heavy users at peak time when they only ever used their connection off peak. No logic.

Either it's a genuine hog and it generates a hugh amount of traffic or BT just regard it as a popular download and throttle it regardless.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I'm currently rendering a video I just made of downloading Flash.

To do this I have had to create a boot usb stick of Ubuntu Linux as my desktop already has flash installed.

If anyone readng this is unsure what I just said... Basically ANY computer can run an entire operating system off a USB stick.

What i did next was to "do the windows thing" and go to Adobe.com to download Flash... You will see me pause the deskop recording because I had a brain-fart and couldn't remember where to find it !!

What is interesting is that getting Flash from adobe's site is painfully slow (bearing in mind my daughter is also downloading a HUGE D/L for her online game that's she's installing on her brand new laptop).

I then paused that download and opened Ubuntu's software Centre and D/L & installed Flash from within that. It completed in about a minute. I then went to youtube and had another brain-fart as I forgot to restart Firefox !!

The point being.... Either adobe's site is under heavy load or BT really is throttling traffic to Adobe.com.

Ubuntu has it's own Repositories to get software from and it installed Flash on this USB stick in seconds.

I will attach a link to the vid when it has been uploaded to my Youtube account (that's gonna pee off my daughters d/l)

Paul

[edit]

Link to Vid

No sound as I forgot to select it in the recorder !! (Doh!)

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I'll be interested to see it Paul. I think BT need to take a serious look at it.

I work for an ISP which deals with BT and i know what it's like for the customer when downloads speeds are impacted due to poor line quality/living far from the exchange/bad sync's etc. But what bugs me is the fact an artificial speed seems to be put in place even though we have an OK line speed and for a small file (if it was a big download then I'd be more understanding).

It makes me a tad cross that i can go to a friends, or relatives who are on a different ISP and download the small but hugely popular file in seconds.

You could be correct when saying the servers at Adobe could be slow, however i highly doubt that is the case. The video from Youtube demonstrates this (BE vs BT).

Just search for the following query on Youtube: "BT Traffic Managed broadband vs. BE Unlimited Broadband"

I understand the need to limit some traffic such as P2P which is bandwidth intensive, but to reduce a download like this to <1kb/sec?? It's just crackers.. I went to a different PC and downloaded it there and managed to get 4.5kb/sec for a few mins before again, being reduced to about 800bytes/second.

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

This is a problem which has been happening for ages. For me, the problem varies because sometimes I can get 5KB/s when downloading it and sometimes I can get my full 860KB/s downloading it.

Best option if you don't want to wait - Download it from another website like 'Filehippo'.etc 😉

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Yeah good idea Chris. For some reason i didn't think about FileHippo at the time!

Still rant over, but point made i hope BT. ;]

0 Ratings