cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Advance Payment of Line Rental

I pay line rental yearly in advance.My current agreement ends on 31 August.I have been advised that I cannot renew this until 1st September 9not sure why I can't do this afew days in advance).

The problem is that my latest bill dtaed 24 August(direct debit payment to be taken 7 Sept) has included advance charges for line rental for the period 1st Sept to 24 Nov - my direct debit comes out quarterly.

I have spoken to customer services(India) who advise that the line rental charged in this quarters bill will be refunded BUT not until my next bill in November.

Surely this can't be right - I will have paid in full from 1st Sept BUT BT will have my direct debit payment for 3 months before refunding it.

Customer services tell me there is nothing that can be done.

Surely this can't be right - the problem is only arising due to BT's poor admin system ?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Advance Payment of Line Rental

I'm afraid this is just how it is. I, too, use Line Rental Saver.

As you can't renew until after the year has ended, and because BT do not know that you intend to take Line Rental Saver, they have to bill you the full monthly rental of £13.90 in the bill immediately before your annual payment is due to end.

When you renew your Line Rental Saver, the next bill will re-credit the excess monthly rental at the full rate that you have paid.

You can check this out by looking at the first bill you received after you paid the Line Rental Saver the last time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thanks ernie c However I`d much prefer the £40 to be nestling in my bank account for three months rather than BTs .Surely there must be a way for them to amend the current bill in the six days before the direct debit is taken.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 4

@giropay wrote:
Thanks ernie c However I`d much prefer the £40 to be nestling in my bank account for three months rather than BTs .Surely there must be a way for them to amend the current bill in the six days before the direct debit is taken.

I see where you're coming from. I only have a month's overlap, whereas yours is almost the maximum three months.

How much interest are you losing? £40 at 3% for 3 months is 30p?

0 Ratings