cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 29

Advice Please on Cabinet Change Timing

Hi - I'm a newbie and not a techie. Grateful for some advice.

I upgraded my ordinary broadband to fibre. Speed went down.

After many conversations BT Tech/Engineer now tell me that:

a. My phone line copper is connected to Glastonbury PCP-16 (100 yards away) which is a new fibre-enabled cabinet.

b. My broadband is connected to Glastonbury PCP-2 (mile and a half away).

They say that OpenReach will transfer my broadband from PCP-2 to PCP-16 but this will mean that I lose broadband for up to 7 days. And that we will arrange a date after Chriistmas.

Two questions:

1. I have been jerked around so much over this issue (10 phone calls...) - does what they say sound reasonable?

2. We run a couple of small home-based businesses that use the broadband a lot. We could go elsewhere for those 7 days. But does OpenReach actually need all that time?

All wisdom gratefully received.

Thanks - William

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Advice Please on Cabinet Change Timing

Welcome to this user forum.

Who told you Openreach are going to change your route, its not normally possible?

See

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

"There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead? 

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another."

In order to find out what services and speed range you could be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

This will give the cabinet number.

Running a business would normally require that you have a business, not residential service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 29

Thanks for speedy response, Keith.

The BT Tech Helpline Adviser had me on hold while he spoke to OpenReach and it was he who told me that OpenReach would make the change. (There was a previous visit by an OpenReach engineer who said to me that they, OpenReach, had made a mistake.)

I take your point about a home biz. I deliberately mentioned all that to see if that prompted any suggestions. (It was orginally just domestic broadband but some work conferences, for example, became Skype and conference calls.) 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

If you post the info I requested, it will tell you which cabinet you are connected to.

I would not rely too much on what the helpdesk say.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

Sounds the normal helpdesk bluff and nonsense
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 29

WmBloom PCP Check.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

Not necessarily, cab16 is a new cab and network re-arrangements are more common now. Only Openreach will have the answer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Your broadband and phone have to come from the same cabinet if you are on Infinity

Cab16 is fibre enabled.

Are you sure that you are on BT Infinity, and not ADSL, which comes from the exchange?

Which BT Home hub do you have at the moment?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 29

My old slow broadband - pre-fibre - is connected to CAB2 - that is what I was told.

I have a new Smart Hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

@WilliamB wrote:

My old slow broadband - pre-fibre - is connected to CAB2 - that is what I was told.

I have a new Smart Hub.

It would come from the exchange, not the cabinet.

Please can you post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

0 Ratings