Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 25

Advice needed: Wheelchair v Bird poop

Go to solution

A good friend of mine is confined to a wheelchair

He has recently moved and now has an annoying problemSmiley Sad

The problem is due to the location of a telegraph pole and the birds (feathered varietySmiley Wink) that gather on and around it.

They deposit their droppings on a very regular basis, which obviously is a natural process, but he is finding that these droppings are on and around the front driveway, which tend to then get picked up on the wheels of his chair, which then end up on his hands and then on his 3 year old son (as he lifts his son onto his lap or when he lifts him into the converted people carrier).

I advised him to speak with BT to see what could be doneSmiley Happy - 25 days and he would also get the billSmiley Mad

He has also spoke with the environmental health, which they admit it is a problem, but not theirs.

The phone wires have had cable ties attached to them (no more than a distance of 2 metres), which was carried out years ago by BT (according to neighbours), which hasn't stopped the little blighters.

Judging by surrounding boundaries, the pole is on his and his neighbours property.

Is there anything (apart from anything illegal) that he can do about this?

Or does he need to push BT to attempt to try and remedy this problem foc?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Advice needed: Wheelchair v Bird poop

Go to solution
DS

A couple of ideas 1 a bird scarer

2 try and get bt to remove the pole and run the cables underground but i doubt they would do it FOC its a problem I come across also as I to am in a wheelchair
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Cheers JohnSmiley Happy

We already looked into a bird scarer (floor mounted), till we spoke to the neighbour - somebody swiped the last one!Smiley Mad

(My friends house has an open driveway)

The pole serves around 12 properties (rough guess), but he wouldn't be able to pay towards any associated costs with the removal.

IIRC, BT used to fit a fake owl to the top of the posts, when requested. Does anyone know if this is or was (I could of dreamt itSmiley Very Happy) the case?

0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

Not an instant solution but perhaps a viable one, if  placed in the right location(s).

Birds much prefer to roost in trees/large bushes, they provide more shelter from wind(weather etc) & if any droppings should reach the ground it is readilty available fertilizer for said tree/bush(s).

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution
I've seen the owls myself, and a small wind driven box with reflective panels to deter them landing. I think it may emit a high frequency sound as well. Both located on top of the pole.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

@PheeragHfre wrote:

Not an instant solution but perhaps a viable one, if  placed in the right location(s).

Birds much prefer to roost in trees/large bushes, they provide more shelter from wind(weather etc) & if any droppings should reach the ground it is readilty available fertilizer for said tree/bush(s).

Thanks P....

He does have a raised garden directly behind the pole. I'll suggest the good idea of a bird house(s). At least it'll fall on the gardenSmiley Happy

@Allan_Quatermain wrote:
I've seen the owls myself, and a small wind driven box with reflective panels to deter them landing. I think it may emit a high frequency sound as well. Both located on top of the pole.

Thanks to you also AQ

I thought I seen something like that. BT any chance....... as we'd get prosecuted if we climb up a telegraph pole - so I've been told

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution
Hi DS,

I had a word with Openreach this morning and they said they do still install bird detractors (as he called them) though it’ll will depend on various factors.

If your friend is with BT, can he email in his name and a contact telephone number and I’ll pass this on to Openreach to see if this is something they can do?

Thanks,

Stephanie
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

Hi Steph

Thanks for looking into thisSmiley Happy

I'll ask him (I didn't think to ask at the timeSmiley Sad) and get back to you later on...

(keep 'em peeled)

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

My problem is the exact opposite I have daily visits from a sparrow hawk so the birds I used to feed don't come hSmiley Madere any more

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

Aye, know exactly what you mean HamishSmiley Sad

I used to have a problem with a sparrow hawk and all the birds just moved onSmiley Sad

The sparrow hawk eventually gave up and also moved onSmiley Happy

I found that by moving the feeders lower (which I thought would never work) to the ground and placing some under/in the bushes for some protection/shelter, they started to come backSmiley SurprisedSmiley Happy

1 year on and no sign of any sparrow hawksSmiley Happy

The only thing now is it's costing a small fortune to feed 'em all!Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings