cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Advice needed about slow broadband speed

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could help me. I live in the countryside and wouldn't you guess it, I get slow internet speeds. Obviously I don't expect superfast broadband but I just want to see if there is any other reason to my slow speeds other then my distance from the exchange (which I believe is 4.3Km, a long distance I know).

I am posting my router statistics (BT HomeHub 3) and the BT Wholesale Performance test report. Essentially I am curious whether old wiring or noise on the line is playing an issue. I'm certainly no expert but my home is quite old and I'm not sure when the wiring was installed so I'd really appreciate any advice. I've also just emailed BT Customer support about resetting the IP Profile as it has been extremely slow ever since the outages due to last weeks weather playing havoc. Any advice appreciated. Smiley Wink

Thanks very much.
Nick

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 4 days, 11:07:43
Downstream: 2.125 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 5.8 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.2 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 91
CRC Events (Down/Up): 6871 / 77

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test:

Download Speed (Mbps): 1.25
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.31
Ping Latency(ms): 43.88

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Advice needed about slow broadband speed

can you please run the BT speedtest further diagnostic test this test appears after the first test completes and post back the results as this is the only way to see your IP profile

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

are you connected to the test socket ?

your noise margin is at the default setting
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

looking at the basic speedtest result your IP profile is at its correct level the further diagnostic test will show that
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

your connection speed is already above the average speed for a line attenuation like yours
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for such a fast reply.

There is the further diagnostic test below. The strange thing is I was getting around 3-3.5mbps downstream a week ago but with the frequent disconnections due to the weather I have a bad feeling the exchange has downgraded my line.

1. Best Effort Test: 

Download Speed : 1.5 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Your noise margin is at it's default setting and with your attenuation (line length) you would normally expect around 1.9mb connection speed the exchange will not downgrade a line if there was any line problem your noise margin would be higher with a lower connection speed from your ADSL stats you have a good stable connection with no room for a higher connection speed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

many router only show a max of 63.5db as attenuation and more than often the actual attenuation is a lot higher so your conenction speed is good with profile and download speed to match

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings