cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rattyjunk
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Advice on My Infinity 2 Connection

Ive had Fibre Broadband for a couple of years now and have been happy with the service , although more recently the speed has become an issue. I confess I'm no expert on Broadband but the recent dip in performance is annoying. So for the best part of Six months I was getting the max Infinity 2 speed which was great then I saw a dip in performance to around  63 Mbps, I'd lost 10Mbps of speed but wasn't to bothered because on getting Fibre installed BT had given me 63 Mbps as an estimate of my speed. This has stayed pretty constant until about a month ago when I noticed it dropped another 10 Mbps. I should have sorted it sooner but have been busy

I ran the two line checks that BT provide  you can see the results below.

This is where it gets a bit weird. BT Wholesale shows the download test logging 32 Mbps and yet if I use speedtest.net for example, I get 51 DL and  16 UL Mbps.

Maybe there is a problem on the line but I don't want to call out an engineer only to be charged if all is fine. I still have loads of speed but unless the speed goes higher it's a waste of money remaining on Infinity 2 seeing as I'm a whole 1 Mbps above the Infinity 1 max. 🙂

I'm running a Asus RT -AC66U dual band router and not the home hub and have rebooted the router to make sure I don't have a stale IP. If things don't improve I would downgrade and I assume I would get max speed but I have a funny feeling speeds will drop with Infinity 1 based on what I've seen with infinity 2. I know we all have crazy speed now but when I had bog standard broadband I had a certain speed and it stayed that way from start to finish. Fibre seems so varied.

So' what do you guys think? Does there appear to be an issue with the line or is this the best I should expect and should look at moving to infinity 1

Thanks guys, hope you can help, and sorry if this has been posted a million times

Capture.PNGCapture 2.PNG

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Advice on My Infinity 2 Connection

Unfortunately as you use a modem all the normal stats are in the modem and not the router

have you tried quiet le test to check for line noise. Dial 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best with corded phone

have you tried the test socket with a filter to see if that improves connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rattyjunk
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

I don't have a filter so will need to pick one upand with regards to the quiet line test, there seems to be a a very minimal hiss on the line, should it be completely quiet?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

If you are using test socket for quiet line test with a corded phone then it should be quiet and by hiss is a problem. Need to report a phone fault to 151 not a broadband fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rattyjunk
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Ah ok, I didn't use the test socket I just plugged into the phone socket. I'll try later and report back

0 Ratings