cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Advice on how to leave early with no charge, beat the hikes.

Check out Martins Money Tips to see if you can escape from your contract early without paying a penalty. As the 'Anytime' packages aren't going to be hiked I am wondering if it is worth switching to a call plan that is going to be hiked before the hike so as to take advantage of this loophole. Anyone got any thoughts?  

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2011/08/escape-bt-contracts--beat-price-hikes

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: Advice on how to leave early with no charge, beat the hikes.

Just read 'Anytime ' packages are going to be hiked too so may not have to switch to use the loophole.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

If you are currently on Anytime, then any other package will be a downgrade on that.  You may well find that BT will hit you with an early termination charge if you try to downgrade while still under contract.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

So if the cost of the increase is to your ''material disadvantage'' does it allow you to cancel all of your services early?

(Broadband, Vision, Phone and Line Rental)

Obviously if you cancel the line rental, you cant receive Broadband and if you cant receive the Broadband you cant receive Vision...

Confused :S

Not suggesting I want to cancel the service, but I've heard that Broadband from other ISPs is really good plus I can get it on a deal on partner rates.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I have been thinking about the individal services within the whole service and how this loophole can be exploited with regard to escaping from the entire corporation trap... er I mean nice kind telecoms company that are making my life better.... oops I mean worse.. oh no! Sorry I told the truth. Blast. Whoops!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

@ttyrie wrote:

So if the cost of the increase is to your ''material disadvantage'' does it allow you to cancel all of your services early?

(Broadband, Vision, Phone and Line Rental)

Obviously if you cancel the line rental, you cant receive Broadband and if you cant receive the Broadband you cant receive Vision...

Confused :S

Not suggesting I want to cancel the service, but I've heard that Broadband from other ISPs is really good plus I can get it on a deal on partner rates.

Have a look at BT's T&Cs here: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

In particular, have a good read of the Residential Standard Terms, paragraph 52.

Generally, you have 10 days to cancel without penalty if BT changes the terms to your material disadvantage.  If you don't cancel, and carry on using the service, you are assumed to have accepted the change.  The 10 days starts from when BT informs you of the change (paragraph 50).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

It's never possible to understand terms and conditions...

What does this mean in Paragraph 52? ''This agreement will continue to apply to any other services that are not affected by any changes that we make''.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

I would take it to mean that if you are buying two different services from BT, and BT increases the price of one of them, then you can cancel that one, but the other carries on as before.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

I'll email the mods for a clear cut answer.

If some people would like to cancel they know what they need to be quoting to retentions, so I'll post back with the reply.

I'd like to know the answer myself as I could (If I wanted) take advantage of staff discount on various providers, If BT allow us to cancel without charge.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

Hello,

I phoned BT this afternoon they said if the line rental has an increase it affects all services.

So the answer is; Yes you can cancel ALL of your services without paying a penalty.

I've notified BT that I am not happy with the increases so now I can decide whether I can use my staff discount to get service from another provider and pay £15 per month for Unlimited Broadband and Evening & Weekend calls (includes line rental).

If I was to go with my staff discount option it would knock £8.90 off our montly bills!!

0 Ratings