cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dandy2365
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Advice please re DSL Checker Results

I would be grateful if somebody would advise me re the results shown for my line.

I am due to have 'Fibre' activated on 10th September after a failed engineer vist in Augiust.

My current ADSL speed is about 3.88 Mbps

Im not sure 'upgrading' is really of any benefit for the exctra £10 per month

Thanks

MarkDSL Check.jpg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Advice please re DSL Checker Results

As long as there are no problems with your line, you should get around 13Mbs possibly more. Only you can decide if that is worth it.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

If you have a reliable ADSL connection, I personally would advise against upgrading to Infinity. If you come to renew your contract at any time, you will get a much better deal if you stay on ADSL.

Infinity tends to be more unstable on long lines due to a number of factors, so you may get quite a few disconnects.

For normal Internet use by one person using it at a time, Infinity is not going to offer any advantage.

0 Ratings
Dandy2365
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thanks Licquorice.

How would i know if my line is 'clean'? It sounds clear - no obvious noise etc. Phone calls are OK. We do have aluminium cables, i know that much as we had a noisy line about 5 years ago. Openreach engineer told me about the aluminium.

House was built in 1946

Regards

Mark

0 Ratings
Dandy2365
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks Keith,

Since they sent me the Hub 5 it disconnects all the time. It never did with the Hub 2 and i sent that back to them.
I stream video from Amazon Prime so an increase in speed would certainly help...

Mark
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@Dandy2365 wrote:

Thanks Licquorice.

How would i know if my line is 'clean'? It sounds clear - no obvious noise etc. Phone calls are OK. We do have aluminium cables, i know that much as we had a noisy line about 5 years ago. Openreach engineer told me about the aluminium.

House was built in 1946

Regards

Mark

You won't know until you are connected, but with aluminium cable all bets are off.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

If you are prepared to buy a decent VDSL modem/router and use that instead of the HH5, then you may find it worthwhile.

Most VDSL modem.routers will work on ADSL as well.

I am sure you would get advice on this thread as to which device I am talking about Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Yes, I'm quite happy with my TP Link TD -W9980 Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Dandy2365
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Thanks again both, I think it is a 'suck it and see situation'.
I am considering buying a TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router
It is £60 on Amazon. It appears to have a few recommendations.

Mark
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

You could try it on ADSL, you may even find it works better for streaming than the HH2, which does suffer a bit with poor throughput, especially on wireless.

The TP Link one has proper multiple aerials and should be much better on wireless.

Then you can decide whether you really need the extra speed, as video streaming should be fine on ADSL.

If you do upgrade, then the TP Link is going to be a wise choice.

0 Ratings