Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 1 of 33

Advice please

Go to solution

Hi, I have been a very pleased owner of Infinity since March 2011 - initially getting speeds of 38 meg down and 15 meg up.

I upgraded to Infinity 2 asap, in March/April this year - since then I have had about 69 meg down and 15/16 meg up.

At all times the connection has been stable - no issues apart from when identified on the issues link above.

My profile has varied from about 68meg-72 meg, but in the last couple of weeks I have noticed a slowdown - when I run tests now, my ip profile has dropped to 55meg.  I know some might say i should be grateful for that but as my line has been stable for nearly 2 years - i am reluctant to accept this, the only issue recently is we have had a few power cuts (which have been rectified by Murphys digging up the road and putting new electric feeder cables in to myself and my neighbours).  In theory DLM maybe has lowered my profile? I have waited a week or so and its not gone back up, is it likely to go back up or will it stick on that?

Im reluctant to reset the modem to see if that increases it, in case it makes it worse, would the in the know posters on here report it to BT and see if they will reset my profile?

I know that for nearly 2 years my profile has been nearly at the max and therefore I am not receiving the service that i know i can get.

I would appreciate any thoughts?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Steve25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 33

Re: Advice please

Go to solution

Hi,

I would not touch anything for at least 6-10 days, If speed drop has been just recent. If your line is stable then the DLM should sort it out.

I had to recycle my modem the other day a least 3 times, and the next morning saw my speeds drop (interleaved placed on line & higher pings). Three days later it was all back to normal , as it was before the modem power off. So the DLM does work.

Steve 

1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply Steve, that's what I was hoping, but would it not have happened by now?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

dlm is well known for taking its time when raising the profile
if the retrains have stopped then it should go back up eventually

0 Ratings
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution
Thanks Bullitt, is there a length of time when this clearly won't happen and if this happens would it require me to request a profile reset?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution
dlm monitors the line and changes your profile automatically
you cant just request a reset
the only way a line profile can be reset is if an attending engineer makes any changes on the service to improve or fix a fault condition or the engineer deems it necessary
0 Ratings
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution
But the line has been stable for nearly two years and my profile has been between 13 and 17 Meg higher. Is it likely the power cut issue will have permanently locked my profile at 55meg ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution
its unlikely to be locked
it takes ages to go up and you probably have no way to see your sync speed or snr
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

@1TonyCurrie wrote:
But the line has been stable for nearly two years and my profile has been between 13 and 17 Meg higher. Is it likely the power cut issue will have permanently locked my profile at 55meg ?

In all liklihood what may have happened is that the downstream noise margin increased incrementally after the power outage .... say by 5db. It doesn't take much rise in margin to deplete linespeed by a percentage amount, especially if you were connecting at around 70m previously.

Ironically, it's the most difficult part of incremental noise margin to get back, especially if it was running target margin before. But it will return to normal sooner or later, but could take some patience.

What you have to do is try not to push it into going back .... because clearly you had excellent line history holding that connection up and affording that high speed .... if you start to reset too often to try and push it ... it will hamper recovery, not help it.

0 Ratings
1TonyCurrie
Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution
Thanks all for your replies, I will try and be patient, one other thing worth noting perhaps? This ties in with the firmware update, coincidence?
0 Ratings