Yesterday I noticed my broadband was slow. It was down to 0.5 - 1.5mbps - it is normally about 16 mbps. I rang the helpline and they tested my line and said there was a network fault in the area after a fault at the exchange was "resolved" on Saturday. That didn't make any sense to me, but I guess that somehow by resolving a fault they have affected my BB speed.
I don't think there is a problem with the physical line, they have tested that already. Also, I have the problem on both lines I use (I have a different broadband line for business). That is just as slow - also it is on a different hub/router. I have checked my profile and that is 14.5 mbps.
I rang again today and they said that I was speaking to second line support. The guy then said he would reset and reconstruct my line or something and that should return the speed. He then got me to stick a paperclip in the hole at the back of the homehub and let it restart. That was 2 hours ago and it is just as slow as ever.
Does anyone else have any problems in this area following the "resolving" of the fault on Saturday ? The guy on the phone line sounded as if he didn't know of any problems, and said everything looked fine on my line.
Hi Welcome to the forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
Hi, I have included the information below on ADSL from the hub and a speedtest I ran at around the same time. I turned my hub off this evening for about 5 minutes to check the extension lead it is plugged into. When I plugged it back it seemed about 1 Mbps faster, but fluctuates between 3 - 6.1 on the beta test. I then ran the full speedtester test and include the results below.
ADSL Line Status
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:56:51
Downstream: 16.09 Mbps
Upstream: 1.152 Mbps
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 8.6 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 17.4 dB / 9.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 20.1 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 113 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 61 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 13 / 0
I switched the hub off earlier this evening to check the extension lead.
The hub is a BT hub 3.0.
I ran a speedtest and got the following:
Download speed achieved during test: 2.32 Mbps
FOr your connection acceptable speed is 4 Mbps - 21 Mbps
IP profile for your line is 14.53 Mbps.
Upload speed achieved - 0.61 Mbps
Upstream rate IP profile on your line is 0.83 Mbps.
Thanks for answering.
I tried using a wired connection. There were 4 yellow ethernet sockets and a red socket at the back of the hub. I tried all of them and the fastest I could get was 0.2 mbps, so it was even slower. On some sockets it was zero.
My work line - I have two lines, which are side by side - is also still very slow today, with the speeds of 1.2 mbps, and 0.8 mbps, and that IS a wired connection. The engineer did say he took one line off as it was a spare on the other - so maybe there is a physical problem?? He only did this about 2 years ago, and it was checked by an engineer 12 months ago when I had a long running problem with speed. Everything was ok then, and he found the problem was the old hub I was using, so he gave me a new one he had in the back of his van.
So basically, I have had slow speeds on both lines and it has coincided with a major fault and some work was done at the exchange on Staurday.
Hi could you please repost the speedtest out of peak hours you may be sufferng some exchange congestionout of peak times your speed should be nearer its correct level
The speed test above was done out of peak hours, around 11:30 at night.
I spoke to the BT help line today and they said there was something at the exchange affecting my speed, and they are going to send engineers to remove it.
Hi, I did the test at 8.00am today, and got the following results:
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.22 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 14.53 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.42Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
The test result has indicated that you should contact your ISP for further assistance.