cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thedwarfer19
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

All I wanted was to change the account holder over, Now I've been without internet for a week

We've been with BT for three decades and had infinty since the day it launched.

2 weeks ago I contacted BT to change the account over from my father to myself. I was told we'd have to close the old account and start a new one. I asked very specifically if there would be any interruption to service. I was promised no, there wouldn't be any down time.

on Friday 11th March (change over day) my internet went out. 

I called BT, waited on hold for an hour and was told to wait until midnight.

Nothing happend.

Saturday morning. another long wait on hold to be told the order has gotten 'stuck' and theywould re-place it for me. the date on this new order would be 21st March but "don't worry" it will get "expadited" on Monday (14th)

So I wait until midnight Monday... still nothing.

Tuesday (15th) morning I'm on hold for 2 hours 40 mins and then get cut off without speaking to anyone.

I tried the online LiveChat... 30 min wait for that...

Was told on Tuesday this order is also 'stuck' and needs to be re-placed and they would call me the next day (16th) at 9am

I explianed this happened last time and they tried to say it was an open-reach issue. Even though I had perfectly fine infinity up unitl Friday.

It's now the 16th 9am came and went and this promised call like so many other promises from BT have not been kept.

I'm currently trying to explain to another LiveChat person why I shouldn't still be waiting for internet. Now they are just quoting 21st of March, saying I need to wait until then for an "update"

I haver no confidence that anything will get done even on the 21st.

The handling of this by BT has been abysmal. 

I need quick resolution to this, otherwise I will have to cancel everything with BT and go elsewhere. A thirty year customer gone.

Someone PLEASE RESPOND

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: All I wanted was to change the account holder over, Now I've been without internet for a week

Sorry about your problems. You shoulnd't have been told that there would be no interruption in service. As far as I know, there is no way to change the account holders name without a cease and reprovide.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Re: All I wanted was to change the account holder over, Now I've been without internet for a week

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post a link to the order tem.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
thedwarfer19
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

but the date on the original "order" was the day the old account was supposed to end. So why did they switch it off, but fail to switch it back on? Why have I been lied to over and over again by BT representatives about call-backs, told to wait longer and longer for an "update", put on hold for hours and been treated like they really couldn't care less that I'm not getting the service I am paying for.

The system is broken.

someone needs to be a person and look outside the system. It's clearly not good enough to just keep submitting orders and making me wait. A BT person needs to get on the phone with an Open Reach person and tell them send an engineer to do the switch on manually.

If  I do end up waiting until the 21st and still have no Internet I will be cancelling my BT, my EE phone and contacting every ombudsman, watchdog and consumer protection service I can find.

This Is disgracefull!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

There is a regulatory requirement that a delay of normally 10 days has to elapse between a cease and re-provide.

This is to reduce the chance of "slamming", and give people chance to correct things.

As it has been explained, you cannot take over an existing account, it has to be a cease and re-provide.

This is the same with all service providers, as credit checks need to be made on the new account holder to make sure they can pay the bill.

There is no way this can be done without a break in service.

Moving provider will only make things worse, at it will add at least another 10 day delay.

0 Ratings
thedwarfer19
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Then how come the phone line switched over immediately? why did the person setting up the order put it in for the  sam day? and why was I lied to over and over again? can you provide a link to this regulation please? because this is the 1st time I'm hearing about it. And I've been trying to get this resolved for nearly a week.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Did you have broadband on the line, if so, was it normal broadband or Infinity?

If it was Infinity, then the you would have lost your allocation on the cabinet, and if the cabinet is full, they you would be put on normal broadband instead.

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 8 of 13

Hi @thedwarfer19,

Contact our order team at this link. They will be able to call Openreach for you if needed and they can follow up on it for you.

Once you've contacted them, let me know how you got on.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
thedwarfer19
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Infinity

0 Ratings
thedwarfer19
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

I've already spoken to the Live Assistance people (I mention it in my post) They are not helping. They just keep fobbing me off

0 Ratings