cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drdba
Beginner
Message 11 of 21

Re: All Neighbours Can Order BT Infinity/Fibre - but I cannot - Why?

pippincp - many thanks for your assistance.

0 Ratings
drdba
Beginner
Message 12 of 21

Hi Daniel - thank you for the contact details - I have responded using the form - and received the following acknowledgement reference - Your enquiry reference number: ***EDITED***.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

Please edit your post to remove the reference number, that is personal to you and this being a public forum...

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 14 of 21

You are very welcome @drdba.

We'll be back in touch with you over the next few days.

I've removed your reference number as it's unique to your contact Smiley Happy

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
drdba
Beginner
Message 15 of 21

Thanks Daniel.

Yesterday evening I had a phone call from one of your colleagues, Patrick, who seemed to confirm that this is not a records issue and that we do genuinely have an Exchange Only line.

However, I am not entirely convinced.

This is a domestic residential dwelling and we have been here with a BT landline since 1998. Over the years, we have experienced intermittent problems with our landline which seems to "drop" the connection to the exchange i.e. all the lights on our BT Home Hub turn red and we have no connection to the internet for a few seconds/minutes - but none of the monitoring equipment on the line/at he exchange shows any problem.

We have had Openreach engineers visit the premises (though not for the last couple of years at least) - and they have never mentioned that we have an Exchange Only line.

There is a telephone (?) line which is "connected" to the outside of our property - which goes to a telephone pole - which is marked with the number "DP 759" - and when Openreach engineers have been to the property on previous occasions - they have spent time leaning out of the window and hitting this line with a stick - (they informed me that this was to generate noise on the line...) but a problem was never identified and after a few attempts I gave up trying to get it fixed.

Is it possible that the reason the Openreach engineers never found a problem on this line is because it is not the line that actually connects our property to the Exchange? Surely they should have identified this during their visit/investigation?

According to the information available on this site - https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/ - I would estimate that our property is (approx) 300m from the Kingsmead Exchange. Is it likely or possible that we are on an Exchange Only line at that sort of distance?

Given that we appear to have a line coming into the property from a telephone pole (DP 759) - can you/Openreach confirm whether it is feasible to switich to using this line - but first confirm whether this pole/line is capable of providing Superfast BB?

So questions;

1.) Are you absolutely certain we are an EO Line?

2.) If we are, when did this happen?

3.) Are the lines connected to the telephone pole DP 759 capable of supporting Superfast BB?

4.) If they are, is it possible to re-enable the line that goes from DP 759 to our property?

I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 21

It would have always been an EO line, especially at that distance. Its not unusual for a DP to be cabled directly onto the exchange frame.

At that distance you should get the full 17Mbs or slightly more, on ADSL2+, which is more tha enough for most Internet activities, apart from streaming multiple HD TV channels.

To get BT Infinity, your DP would have to be fed via a fibre enabled cabinet, which yours is not.

0 Ratings
drdba
Beginner
Message 17 of 21

Just seems strange to me that almost every other property (of the 12 in total) in the terrace are connected to the cabinet - just not us.

Until this week, I had not previously heard of the term "Exchange Only" - but after a bit of googling - it does appear to be a well known issue - from those similarly impacted - http://www.choose.net/media/guide/faqs/exchange-only-line-fibre-broadband.html

I guess the Openreach target to provide 95% of the UK with Fibre BB by 2020 is designed to exclude the 5% that they know are on Exchange Only lines.

You suggest that "... At that distance you should get the full 17Mbs or slightly more, on ADSL2+..." - however, whenever I have measured the line speed, it returns an average speed of about 14.MB download - and as a software engineer working mostly from home, with four other household members with competing demands on the connection - this is barely suffificient now.

That coupled with the unreliability of the existing EO line does not make me a happy or even satisfied customer.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 21

Does the broadband checker mention FTTP or FTTP on demand?

As you are that close to the exchange, there may be a fibre node nearby?

There may be other options available from BT Business, as it may be more suitable for your usage.

0 Ratings
drdba
Beginner
Message 19 of 21

OK - a quick update on the story so far...

There are a couple of issues running here - so lets deal with them separately;

1.) Quality/reliability of existing ADSL BB connection to my property.

2.) Access to Superfast/Fibre BB from my property.

So, WRT Issue 1 - made contact with the BT Moderator Patrick. He changed some settings on my line(?) and monitiored for 24 hours and informed me that there were some issues, so raised a fault with Openreach.

Separately, I carried out a "quiet line" test, using the test socket and wired phone (on Thursday 16th March) - and I could hear some noise on the line.

I also found some other posts in the community that the BT Home Hub 5 (Model A) was a source of several problems with innternet connectivity (the system log showed that the firmware had not been updated since July 2015 and (from the communities) there did not seem to be any way to get it to update. I replaced the BT HH5 with a new TPLink Archer 9000 ADSL Modem, also on Thursday 16th March.

Patrick arranged for an Openreach engineer to make a visit on Monday 20th March, which they duly did.

However, the Openreach engineer only appeared to carry out a five minute line stability test, sometime between 09.30 and 10.00 on Monday 20th March - and reported that there were no faults detected, line speed was stable and over 21MBPs and there was no noise on the line.

TBH, the connection to the internet yesterday (Monday 20th March) was mostly OK, but it was interupted for about 3 minutes at (approx) 16.42 - 16.46.

Issue 2 - getting a Superfast/Fibre connection to/from my property.

The Openreach engineer confirmed that my property is served off the Telephone Pole DP 759 - and that this is directly connected to the Kingsmead exchange, so there is no immediate prospect of being able to order BT Infinity using the standard approach. The Openreach engineer did mention that it is possible that at some point in the future, Openreach may install a DSLAM cabinet either outside or inside the Kingsmead Exchange - but he had no information on when or if this might happen.

As mentioned previously, almost all the other properties in the terrace of 12 have access to fibre. The cable that serves these other properties runs under the pavement in front of my property (the Openreach Engineer lifted the cover of the access hatch just in front of my property). He mentioned that it should be technically possible to install a junction to the existing cable and then lay a trunking duct under the pavement and into the front of my property - a distance of approximately 2 metres from the route of the existing cable to the front of my property, which is where the master socket is located.

However, he said he had absolutely no idea how/if it was possible to raise the internal paperwork to create such an work order.

So, as I see it at the moment, I can wait it out, until such time that Openreach install a DSLAM cabinet in the Kingsmead exchange, then hope that the intermittent fault (of several years standing) with my current connection is not in the segment between my property and the telephone pole DP 759.

OR

Find someone who can raise the necessary paperwork to create an order to get the work needed to run a new connection from the existing cable running under the pavement at the front of my property into my property - which I except is likely to require me to bear some of the costs.

Is there anyone who can shed any light on the feasibility and timescacles for either of these options - or suggest any alternatives?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

I'll be honest here... you've got no chance of getting Openreach to do what you describe.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’