Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JVentus
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

All downloads throttled to 500kbs

Go to solution

Hi forum,

For the past two days, for some reason my connection has been restritcted to 500kbs download speeds and intially I thought it was just torrents, but I'm sat here downloading two linux distros via http, Linux Mint and Lubuntu. Linux Mint started downloading at around 500kbs, so went to download Lubuntu and Linux Mint drops and the download speed between both is around 500Kbs, when I usually get 2.2mbps roughly.

My connection is 22mbps and since I've been with BT  for nearly 2 years now, never had an issue, torrents/direct downloads/streaming all been full speed.

I've checked the download speed with the bt online test and it says my download speed is 20mbps, so roughly correct, but my connection (on all devices) is restricted to 500kbs as if i try and use the web or watch iplayer while i download these 2 files (at 500kbs) its like being back on dial up!

This is happening 24/7 and all service status for my exchange area gives the green light.

Any advice on what to do about this? as all computers are Linux/Chrome OS, so no sinister software running and I'm puzzled as to what is causing my speeds to be so slow.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
JVentus
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: All downloads throttled to 500kbs

Go to solution

OK! This may go down as the quickest thread solve EVER and sincere apologies for suggesting my connection was being throttled! But I disconnected a power line adaptor and plugged in a USB WI FI dongle to connect to the BT Hub using Wi - FI and speeds back to 2.3mb!

I have been using these powerline adaptors for 2 years now and never had any issue, especially one as strange as this!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).  Must be done with wired conenction

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

That's great. Need to examine your powerline adapters or Ethernet cable 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JVentus
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

You could try and re-pair them and see if that helps. Or change Ethernet port on hub

JVentus
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I moved the main powerline adaptor which the router connects to, to a different socket and now we're back in business!

So after first swearing at BT and then ready to bin powerline adaptors, turns out to be issue with a socket lol!

That will teach me to assume!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

ROFL_C12.gif