I've been informed by BT that only 5 days into the new month I have reached and exceeded my broadband limit of 40GB!!
I received the notification email from them on the 5th August telling me I was getting close to my limit but when I went online and checked I had not only reached it but had zoomed past it as well.
My normal monthly usage is just over 5GB ....
There is only my husband and I in the house, my cats haven't learned how to use a tablet - yet!
Whereas we might download the odd film or book in a month the majority of our use is email and surfing the net.
I immediately contacted the online customer help to find out what was going on. After 34 minutes of waiting around I was continually told (politely I add) that the highest usage had been on the 4th August; a total of 47GB in one day !!!!!
When I asked how, I was told, (politely again) that they can't give me any other details of times or who due to protecting customers. So reading between the lines ... as I can't prove it wasn't me I will have to foot the bill.
The only advice that I received was to change all the passwords and switch off all devices from wifi when not in use. Think I was told this about 3 times.
My BT home hub is supposed to be secure but the passwords will be changed and devices switched off, I will also be checking the usage daily, but not sure I'll be using it at all for the rest of the month anyway.
I've been left feeling like it had to be my fault, but after seeing other posts about the alleged broadband scam I'm not so sure.
Please help, what else can I do to stop it happening again?
The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.
Welcome to the community and thanks for your post.
Can you send me over a few details and I will look into this for you. Click on my username and under the "about me" section you will the link to get in touch with us. Whenever we receive your details we will go from there.
I've run virus scans and nothing came up.
I have mobile security on my phone and tablet and security on my laptop.
What can I do now?
I'm unsure of another way to contact you but this seems to work.
Although I'm not happy about the outcome I will upgrade as per your email.
Please can you confirm when this has been done and the charges that will be made monthly on the account.
Thank you for the link,it helped with information but we have had infinity for coming up to a year when this happened.
We've been downloading bits the whole time but it just shot up over the limit in July.
Ive been watching it carefully since and we have hardly used it since then ... something was obviously wrong but we are having to upgrade to avoid further issues.
Many thanks for your help.
I upgraded my ADSL broadband very recently.
I received an email almost immediately confirming the new price and package, it can be checked on my BT as well. It's supposed to take 24 hours to show on your account, as far as I remember it was a lot quicker than that.
I upgraded over the phone. 0800 800 030.