Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 22

Re: Alternative router for Infinity 2

Go to solution

@amb1I am interested to know what actually happened after 20 minutes, did the light on the home hub change colour, or was it just a failure to connect on bothe Ethernet and wireless?

0 Ratings
amb1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe yes the light stays blue but fails to connect to wireless. Devices say 'failed to obtain IP address' as well as 'AP not in use, internet connection too slow.' If we do manage to connect to WIFI on a device it says no internet connection. An Engineer visitied this week and said it is a fault with the router but this has happened with 3 Hub 6's now.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

What about devices that are connected using an Ethernet cable, do they work?

0 Ratings
amb1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution
With the last hub no (i connected my laptop directly to the router, it recognised the LAN connection but said no internet access) I haven't tried it with this hub yet as only got it last night.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

Try it with the new home hub, you may need to delete the existing LAN connection if it comes up as unknown network.

The wireless message you are seeing is possibly an Android issue.

See https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=AP+not+in+use%2C+internet+connection+too+slow

0 Ratings
amb1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution
Thanks i'll try deleting the LAN connects as it did say unknown network last time.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

@amb1 wrote:
Thanks i'll try deleting the LAN connects as it did say unknown network last time.

That message will come up whenever Windows detects a new network connection with a different hardware ID (Serial number).

Is security feature to warn you that the network has changed, and may no longer be private. Once you tell it that its a private connection, the warning will go away.

It prevents accidental sharing of files over a new connection, just in case its a public network.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

There are also a couple of other issues that cause connection problems.

Try turning Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

If you have wireless devices that can connect to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bands, then you are strongly adviced to split the wireless bands so that the 5GHz SSID has a -5 on the end.

Then connect the device to the 2.4GHz SSID, unless you really need the 5GHz band, as that has a much shorter range.

Se example below

channel split.jpg

amb1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for your help, i will give that a go tonight! 🙂

0 Ratings
g4jnw
Contributor
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution
Im having this problem too so will also try turning off smart setup, if not then i'd also like opinions on an alternative.
0 Ratings