cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 11 of 16

Re: Alternative router with VPN client/tunnel built in ?

Well assuming you dont find another router that will do what you need you could take a look at openvpn that has clients for android and idevices and I believe is free(app on itunes might be chargeable but I dont think it is). Not the easiest to setup I'm afraid but might be useful as a backup plan. ipcop has openvpn built in so you could probably use that as a gateway for your clients. 

On the router side have you checked out TP Link? I used to have a TP Link router and it was very feature packed and also probably one of the best **bleep** ADSL routers I ever had including a rather expensive draytek I used to have.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 12 of 16

jonkarra has given you options to solve the problem but remember if it is for business it could breach the terms of your employees T's&C's with their provider.

Most likely won't happen but you do have to bear it in mind.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 16

What I have found, is that small business's are using NetGear N900 ethernet routers (and there is an equivalent Linksys router WRT54GSL ?) and loading them with a build of DD-WRT that supports OpenVPN and using them, which works absolutely fine as VPN client.

This might be a way forward, as it appears the home based ethernet routers (and ADSL routers) no longer have VPN clients built in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 14 of 16

The only thing you are going to hit here is flashing the firmware with a non approved software image will most likely invalidate the waranty on the devices. If you have to send them back they might refuse to replace or even send you a bill at a later date. Although I guess for the hopefully limited number of devices that might break in the waranty period its not a massive outlay.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 15 of 16

@pippincp wrote:

jonkarra has given you options to solve the problem but remember if it is for business it could breach the terms of your employees T's&C's with their provider.

Most likely won't happen but you do have to bear it in mind.

I'd be surprised if there was any come back on people using their connection for working from home especially if it was only occasionally. The biggest problem if people are working from home regularly is the lack of an SLA on the line with a residential account. 

Additionally from a security perspective I'd be concerned with employees allowing people to plugin to the device in question and be able to connect to your network. All it takes is someone letting slip a wireless password or just allowing a friend to plug a wired connection into the router...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 16

Additionally from a security perspective I'd be concerned with employees allowing people to plugin to the device in question and be able to connect to your network. All it takes is someone letting slip a wireless password or just allowing a friend to plug a wired connection into the router...

We use certificates to control access. Only the device (PC/iPad etc) in the users home with a suitable certifcate installed can get in at the other end of the VPN.

With DG384 & ADSL worked very well for many years, probably since 2007 worked 100%.

0 Ratings