cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Alternative to HH5 - Want recomendations please.

Go to solution

I don't know why but lately my HH5 has problems with wireless, re-boots and keeps dropping my speeds untill I re-boot it, so im looking for alternatives.

Not fussed about wireless range as its only phones that connect via wireless, all other devices are wired, I do a lot of gaming etc.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Alternative to HH5 - Want recomendations please.

Go to solution

Are you sure its not a problem with your phone line, as that will still be there with a different router.

As for alternatives, there are quite a number of existing threads discussing them.

eg https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Alternative-router-for-Infinity-2/m-p/1706073#M1...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Alternative-to-HH5/m-p/1681192#M130078

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Any-recommendations-to-replace-a-HH6-with-a-thir...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

I go from Maxing out 75mb download speeds for a few days to 50, I do the BT speed test and look at the Hub logs and they are reporting the 75mb speeds to the hub, speed tests on the xbox and PC say they are getting 50~ the only thing that fixes it is re-booting the hub...I guess I could log a ticket and try to get a new hub posted out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

First try a factory reset of the home hub, if you have not already tried it.

Are the xbox and PC connected directly to the home hub with an Ethernet cable.

If the actual hub connection speed does not vary, then it could just be BT network congestion. Restarting the home hub simply gives you a new public IP address, and a different route.

There a very few reported issues wiith the HH5, compared with the HH6.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

PC and one xbox is connected via a switch, the main xbox is connected directly..all give similar speeds. I've tried removing the switch as well...its definately not the problem as I say, I only go back upto 75mb download after a reboot of the hub.

Hub connection shows downstream as 78mb, but it was showing this before and I was only getting ~50mb untill I re-booted the hub. The BT speed test diagnostics showed 75mb to the hub as well....so I can only assume the issue is with the hub. I've unplugged/switched all other things off before doing the BT diagnostic test as well.

Hub firmware:  Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.222.1.1 (Type A)

Ill try a factory re-set and see, but I dont hold up much hope.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

This is just after a factory re-set of the hub, so im currently getting 75mb down...it doesn't last though, its only the last 4 weeks or so its started playing up...before that it was steady 70-75mb download connection all the time. I should note as well the last 4 weeks the hub seems to loose connection virtually every day as well and get teh orange flashing light before going blue again.

Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 75.84 Mbps

0 Mbps77.34 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 75.84 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-77.34 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.34 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 16.88 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.88Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
can you please re run that speedtest when your speeds drop again
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
As you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings