cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harrycrac
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Alternative to HH5

my home hub has been hacked and despite rasing this with BT along with other issues regarding service I have not been able to secure my router nor hide it from the public.

I am going to purchase a replacment router so I can control my connections and monitor service.

Can anyone advise which one to get?

Has to be compatable with BT infinity and easy to install and set up.

Thanks

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Alternative to HH5

@harrycrac wrote:

my home hub has been hacked and despite rasing this with BT along with other issues regarding service I have not been able to secure my router nor hide it from the public.

I very much doubt that is the case, using BT Wifi is not the same as being hacked if that is what you are referring to.

I am going to purchase a replacment router so I can control my connections and monitor service.

Can anyone advise which one to get?

Have a look at the TP Link range, up to you to decide what features you want. Prices range from about £35 for the basic TD-W9970 to about £170 for the VR2600

Has to be compatable with BT infinity and easy to install and set up.

Extremely simple to set up.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 24

Just look for one that supports VDSL.  Lots out there, Billion, Netgear, TP-Link, Fritzbox etc.  Read reviews, preferably professional ones, before deciding.

Don't know about wireless performance with most but from the ones I used the Fritz is best wireless coverage followed by Billion then Netgear.

How easy the setup is depends on how well you read the manual, personally never had problems with setup.  Just never used the so called 'Smart setup wizards' always done manually then have complete control over what it's doing.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

I wouldn't trust reviews. Reviewers rave about Home Hubs!!! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 24

Indeed licquorice, I agree but nobody would actually buy a HH, surely.  I never found them worth the postage costs.  How long did they actually run hubs for do you think?  Never looked at HH reviews, I know what they function like.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

Everybody seemed to be falling over themselves to buy the new 'Smart Hub' !!! Unbelievably, one of the PC mags raves about it.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 24

I use an Asus DSL-AC68U. Works great, rock solid & plenty of functionality. Setup is pretty straightforward & it works with BT TV - BT Sport etc.

Not overly cheap but strong wifi & plenty of controls, like preventing the kids using the internet when they're supposed to be asleep.

harrycrac
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

great, i have a couple of tips and routers to evaluate, thanks for the responses.
0 Ratings
harrycrac
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

I dont have kids but maybe my neighbours kids??? dont mind being a hotspot for people like me who just need to catch up with mail, whatsapp, snapshat, ebay  away from home but kids gaming and downloads can go away to be polite. Thank you for you for your constructive input.

0 Ratings
harrycrac
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Ok experts I am trying so hard to install my to link router but cannot get internet to work. Got the router fired up and connected but no internet service. BT no help whatsoever & keep pushing HH6 for £85. What do I do next? Any ideas please
0 Ratings