Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Alternative to the HH3

Go to solution

Hi all,

I have a HH3 and its rubbish wireless, it keeps dropping the wireless, needs re-setting almost daily and I get poor speeds (4-8mb wireless) even thought my wired connection is 37.5mb. I have contacted Customer service but they wont send a replacement saying its working fine when I ring so there is no fault.

What other routers can I use for the infinity, I'm happy to keep the white modem so not looking for an all-in-one replacement and I don't have loads of money to spend on a all singing and dancing router. Just need a decent wireless N router that I can use but with so many out there I thought I would ask if anyone can advise me on the best possible replacement which will work on infinity.

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Alternative to the HH3

Go to solution

Any "cable" router will do the job. If you are a Mac user, consider an Airport Extreme.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

It may be worth just doing a few checks on the wireless settings  here  Wireless Help

There are also plenty of other suggestions for alternative routers on this forum.

See http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Replacing-HH3-with-own-router-but-which-one/m-p/322895/highli...

Beginner
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the replys, will look at cable meodems as I have tried the wireless help and it did nothing. As I'm running PC's I can't look at the Mac router.

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

@Forcefire wrote:

Thanks for the replys, will look at cable meodems as I have tried the wireless help and it did nothing. As I'm running PC's I can't look at the Mac router.

Thanks 🙂

The Apple Airport Extreme is a router like any other and will connect to anything you use and can be managed from a windows pc. Not the cheapest but has a solid reputation for wireless.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Be mindful that some cable routers were not designed for high speed internet. Ive tried a couple of Linksys and Netgear Routers of an older generation that struggled to deliver 20mb. I don't have definitive guidance, but I am researching this!

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution
I've got a Netgear WNDR3700 and it works great 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks Webby, but in the interests of those who may soon be able to get 80 or 100mb, are you sure that this router will still be fit for purpose?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution
They have GigE ports on them so I don't see it being an issue. I may be going onto the FTTC 80meg trial soon so I'll let you know 😉

Here's a snippet from a review, the last sentence more specifically.

he Netgear WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router is a wireless router supporting simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11n wireless, Wi-Fi Protected Setup and media sharing through a USB port. It features gigabit network ports both for LAN and WAN which make this router suitable for the new generation of broadband services such as, fibre broadband, which offer speeds of 100Mbps or above
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks webby, but the existance of a GigE wan port hasnt worked for me. Both of the routers Ive tried have been GigE, but have not had had a chipset that could deliver.

More pressing for me is the potential upgrade to 300 mb, and the need to find a router that can cope, as I have my concerns about the HH3.

0 Ratings