cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 11 of 22

Re: Alternative to the HH3

Go to solution
Nowt wrong with the HH3 providing you don't need advanced features. Use inSSIDer to find the clearest channel and set the HH3 to that and the jobs a good'un.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution
I'll report back in a few days 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks guys for the answers given, with the 80mb upgrade i was wondering what routers would be able to cope as most seem to be still ADSL limited.

I will be keeping a close eye on the forum to see what alternative routers can handle the higher speeds when they arrive, untill then I will just be using some home plug's instead of wireless.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Netgear 3700 performs with no problems on the FTTC 80meg service.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

Webby,

You stated that the "Netgear 3700 performs with no problems on the FTTC 80meg service.~ 76meg throughput wired and ~58meg wireless "

Is the FTTC 80/20 package available yet.?

I am using 40/10 infinity.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution
Various service providers are trialing the service 🙂
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

I've just registered here to say that I was having exactly the same problems for several weeks, and tried all kinds things to help to no avail. The wifi connection would drop out on a regular basis, and often at the weekend I would be disconnected every 10 minutes or so. The bandwidth would also be very poor, with youtube videos often pausing and buffering etc.

Eventually I was frustrated enough to buy a replacement wifi router and I have had a rock solid wifi connect now for over a week, and I am getting >20mbps over wifi. So finally I am getting the kind of service I was hoping for.

The router I bought was one of the cheapest available at £42.50. It is the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. It was easy to set up and I have no complaints so far.

I'm not sure what the problem was with the BT router. Perhaps part of it is that it is offering the BTOpenZone channel and the BTFON channel in addition to my personal wifi channel. I'm not sure how much that would comprimise the reliability, but it surely can't help. Maybe there are firmware problems as well as I have seen suggested on some forums.

Anyway - a little over £40 for a robust wifi connection is a small price to pay. You could argue that BT should get their router right to start with, but perhaps the service is subsidised by the openzone + BTFON channels, and I am happy that at least I've had the option to rid myself of them by switching to another router.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

ASUS RT-N56U works well for me.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

I am wondering why people would need another router as The HH3 is working better than my old DLINK 2640b yes the HH3 as less stuff to muck around with but it's working fine what extra stuff do you need that the HH3 can't provide ?

You can turn off the BT open zone from the HH3 but will have to opt out first http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution
I am sure there are different reasons. For me personally it was because I wanted a dual band router with 5GHz wifi. I have a lot of conflicting wifi signals from neighbours and had poor speeds. With the 5GHz band I now get my full 76Mbps speed over wifi versus around 40-50Mbps max on the 2.4GHz band. The connection is also now rock solid with not a single drop out. I got the Netgear N750 (WNDR4000).
0 Ratings