cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MACH1
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Alternatives to Homehub 5?

I am posting this as a backup in case I am unable to get the problems with my Homehub 5 resoled.

I have heard that 'some high quality wifi routers' have compatibility issues with BT broadband delivered ove fibre to premises. I would not wish to jump out ot the proverbial frying pan and into the fire, so are there any lists of high quality 802.11ac wifi routers that have been confirmed as being 100% compatible with the service?

I am finding my own Homehub 5 gives a very poor wifi signal - weaker even than a neighbour's across the street who is using a quality router!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Alternatives to Homehub 5?

Some of the forum users use the TP-Link TD W9980 which sells for about £60.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

If you have FTTP then any router will be OK and no need for the 9980 which is  a modem router.  A router with external aerial is supposed to give better coverage than internal aerial 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

If you have FTTP, then any router with a WAN port will work OK. You won't need a specific VDSL modem/router as you will already have a separate modem.

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I use a TP Link Archer VR900 on my Inifinity 2 it is a great stable modem/router with great features including 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi and range. Expensive but you get what you pay for IMHO.  74Mbps Down 18Mbps Up

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 6 of 12

The TP Link W9980 is not an 802.11ac router. OP wants ac router.
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 7 of 12

The Asus DSL-AC68U is what I use & it's excellent in every aspect. The Wifi coverage is particulary good , giving good sppeds throughout our house & garden.

My son just joined BT & also has one of these and he's well impressed. He used to have a Billion 7800n which has a reputation for good wifi coverage - albeit only 2.4ghz , but this Asus is far superior.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

I'll second the TPLink Archer VR900. Swapped from the HH5 a few months ago, by far a superior and rock solid piece of equipment. 

0 Ratings
MACH1
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at the various suggestions. Initially I was rather hoping there might be some ideas about addressing the problem with the poor wifi on the Hub 5 but I think this may be wishful thinking. I am just rather surprised that the various reviewers were really impressed with it given the apparent lacklustre performance I have found. The connections are certainly fast - but only seem to be reliable from within the same room as the router. Previously we lived in a house with a Virgin cable connection. The wifi router they supplied was 802.11n as opposed to ac, but the wifi signal was good around the entire house - apart from one room where there were 3 high density concrete walls between the router and the room!

I must say I am unimpressed with the internal aerial system - at least with external aerials there is (often) the option of adding a higher gain aerial if the signal is lacking.

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

The other advantages to not using the HH5 is that it removes the backdoor into your router for BT Broadband support and means that you are not running a public wifi hotspot - which is the default setting. You can also configure the DNS of your choice. But do store and hang onto the HH5 as you will need to use this if you are ever unfortunate enough to have to deal with BT Support!