cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 26

Re: Alternatives to the Home Hub 5? Something with a full "proper" suite of options and se

Yes, provided your routers have a WAN port.

0 Ratings
tomcat_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 26

Re: Alternatives to the Home Hub 5? Something with a full "proper" suite of options and se

Hi all,

sorry for bringing that post back from the past however I'm facing the same question myself.

I'm with BT infinity and I'm looking in changing my HH5 with a combined VDSL modem router that has to have the following:

1. stable vdsl connection (i'm already getting 38/10mbps so no speed issues)

2. capable of mutlicast from lan as i have connected my viewbox (via ethernet adapter)

3. Good wireless range, especially 2.4ghz (i don't use wireless for file transfer, i use tp-link ethernet adapters)

4. having both a wan and a dsl port.

5. The modem to have live bandwith graphs. (this one being the most difficult to find in routers)

The last one is a feature that i don't find often in routers and it's the same as the dd-wrt with the bandwith monitoring. So when logged in to the router you can see the total bandwith that is current used (up and down) in a graph and in some cases you can see it per lan port or WLAN. I think the Asus and the Fritzbox having something similar i don't know about the other modem/routers like TP-link, Billion or netgear?

thanks for your help

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 13 of 26

I'm using an Asus DSL-AC68U (on Infinity 2) that I think fits most of your requirements. It lacks the separate WAN & DSL ports , having just the DSL port.

You can monitor bandwidth by device - but doesn't appear to be able record this , set QoS , check web history by device. Here's a link with info about this - Asus Bandwidth monitoring

I've found it to be rock solid and it's used by a few on this forum.

The other popular one seems to be the TP-Link W9980 but I don't know about monitoring side of it.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 26

@TimCurtis wrote:

The other popular one seems to be the TP-Link W9980 but I don't know about monitoring side of it.

Everything except the monitoring.

0 Ratings
tomcat_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 26

Thanks for your replies,

I had the Asus in mind as i can see that it has what appears to be a very good traffic monitoring graphs under QOS section however I'm reading a few posts around the internet of people not finding it stable. Glad you have a success story with it

I'm reading that with the latest Asus firmware update the wireless power dropped from 200mw to 80mw. Is that correct?

Pity about the TP-link archer as it seems like a good router, has a new look in its UI but no traffic monitoring.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 16 of 26

My TP-Link Archer D9 does trafic monitoring (under Statistics section) so I'm sure the Archer V900 does which is VDSL / ADSL version.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 17 of 26

sorry, typo: I meant Archer VR900.

0 Ratings
tomcat_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 26

I had a look over the manual and it doesn't seem that it does graphs of the bandwidth?

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 19 of 26

No it does not, you are correct.

0 Ratings
tomcat_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 26

I've done some digging in the manuals of various VDSL modem/routers and apart from Asus and Fritz that they have this functionality, i can see that Billion 8800NL also has that and Netgear D6400 via the genie app.

I guess it's down to stability, wireless range and features.

0 Ratings