cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 26

Alternatives to the Home Hub 5? Something with a full "proper" suite of options and settings

I've decided that I don't want to spend the next few weeks of my life glued to google trying to fix the port conflict that is happening in my HH5 between the Xbox One and the Xbox 360.

I had a virgin modem and D-Link router (flashed with DD-WRT firmware and wouldn't mind using that firmware again) up until last Fri when BT was installed, and that setup never skipped a beat when it came to open NAT's on my consoles. So I'd rather spend money and replace the HH5 and get something that can cope with two items that both want the same port to be used within upnp - never at the same time I may add.

There must be something out there that fits the bill as a replacement that I can use. I'm just not familar with ADSL stuff as I have obvously come off the back of cable where I could pretty much buy any router I wanted. Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Alternatives to the Home Hub 5? Something with a full "proper" suite of options and se

Do you have ADSL or Infinity broadband?

0 Ratings
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 26

Re: Alternatives to the Home Hub 5? Something with a full "proper" suite of options and se

Ah yeah I have Infinity 2, so I think it is actually VDSL? Still a bit new to this 🙂
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

It is VDSL. You could do a couple of things. You could buy an Openreach modem on a well know auction site which would then give you a greater choice of routers that you could use. It is probably a more expensive option but if you prefer you could go for a VDSL modem/router combined unit. Draytec and Asus seem to be the most popular VDSL modem/routers on the forum.

I'm sure others will be able to give you their preferred option.

Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 26

Hmm, open reach modem sounds like it might be a plan, seeing as I still have the router I used with Virgin Media (the D-Link standalone router so I assume it will work - it gave me the full 100meg when I had their service)

I assume all the Open Reach Modems are the same? There are a lot on "that" site and they vary greatly in price.

Also, I don't know if anyone knows if you are somehow obliged to use the home hub router for the initial term of your contract? They don't check these things and then say it could affect your service etc etc?

I just need something other than this bleeping hub. Oh and I need something with status lights so I can see when there is activity. It is driving me nuts that this has no activity lights at all 🙂 Thank you

p.s if anyone here is using the Asus alternative and would be ok with me PM'ing them a couple of questions, I'd really appreciate it. Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

@Retrovertigo wrote:

Also, I don't know if anyone knows if you are somehow obliged to use the home hub router for the initial term of your contract? They don't check these things and then say it could affect your service etc etc?

The only potential problem will be getting support if you have service problems.

You should probably plug the HH back in before making a call to tech support.

billat29
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

There are at least three different versions of the BT VDSL modem. At least I have had three different ones - the one originally installed, the one replaced when they used Kelly communications to replace them all and the one (very slightly larger) that the OR engineer put in when he fixed my line problem.

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you what the difference is between them though

phone
Beginner
Message 8 of 26

The home hub 5 breaks upnp and dnla, and the port forwarding is execrable, so there is little point in trying to make it work. It is a very cheap and nasty device. I would recommend a Draytek vdsl model, such as the 2850. Fairly reasonable, and can be had on ebay.

BTW - this can be easily proven - if you put a switch between your equipment and the home hub, then disconnect the homehub, lo and behold everything will miraculously start working (apart from internet access of course!)

I did try to log a fault but our subcontinental cousins repeatedly failed to understand the problem (perhaps on purpose?) and would not put me in touch with anyone who could help. The best they could offer was BT Tech Experts, a pay service! Suffice to say, once the contract period is up, I will not be renewing.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 9 of 26

0 Ratings
apb123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 26

I have a similar problem. I am not really impressed with the Home Hub 5. I have two good ADSL modem/routers. I want to replace the HH5.

Could I just buy an openreach modem off ebay and plug my other router into it. (ensuring PPPoE) ?

0 Ratings