cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coxby50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 27

Re: Am I getting the best speed possible?

Go to solution

Hello seab20: Connection stats as follows

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information Line state: Connected

Connection time: 5 days, 22:10:37

Downstream: 896 Kbps

Upstream: 448 Kbps  

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38

Type: PPPoA

Modulation: G.992.1

Annex A Latency type: Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up): 8.8 dB / 13.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up): 62.5 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up): 15.1 dBm / 11.9 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up): 13879681 / 4652

CRC Events (Down/Up): 2032229 / 3105

And Speed Test results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 794 Kbps  

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.  

Additional Information:  Your DSL Connection Rate :896 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)  

IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

I don't have a cordless phone and there is some line noise which I did report to BT Support. The engineer couldn't find a fault on the line so agreed to send me a new Accelerator Plate which I still haven't received and that was 9 days ago!!

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution

your noise margin is getting quite high again, but if there is audable noise on the line then that needs to be fixed before anything else

call 151 and report a line fault, as long as your are connected to the master socket and there are no other sockets in the property that could be intefereing then the is nothing more you can do about the noise by yourself.

despite this the line seems quite stable with over 5 days connected, so its not as bad as it could be

0 Ratings
coxby50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

I'm getting really frustrated now!

I seem to ring Technical Support once or twice a week. I've tried reporting line noise to no avail and was sent a new filter which made no difference.

Since then I've had an Openreach Engineer visit for 2 hours and we did a thorough test of the house wiring and hardware. The connection to the exchange is good and stable, staying at around 1.2 to 1.5MBPS but it's the Throughput Speed which deteriorates.

He was explaining that the card in the exchange 'throttles down' my connection when the router is reset. Except for powercuts I leave the router on so don't really understand this but it does seem the exchange throttles back my speed from nearly 1MB to a pathetic 7KBPS within a week. He further explained that with the exchange used to push a constant speed to customers and this 'throttling' is a new feature.

I've just requested BT to reset the card and shall see how long it is before I get 'throttled' once again :((

Why oh why does my broadband get throttled back!!?*& I'm sure when I was with Pipex I had a constant speed of around 1MB and never experienced this. I have also been informed that there is simply nothing I can do to resolve this so is there a way of lodging a complaint against BT for not providing the service I'm paying for and getting some of recompense?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution
Hi you need to be reporting the line noise to bt Faults on 151 not the broadband help line and when you contact fault do not mention broadband the line noise is the problem and until that is resolved then broadband will not improve
0 Ratings
coxby50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

Hi john46, thank you for your advice. You did mention this in an earlier reply and I have reported the fault two or three times. I don't mention broadband, just that I have a very noisy line. The fellow on the phone will take my mobile number, inform me that he is going to run a test and call me back. I'm duly called back and informed that the test is ok and nothing more. Am I doing something wrong!!?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution
just insist you have noise the line tests sometimes do not show it up when you phone just say you find it hard to hear them because of the noise on the line
0 Ratings
coxby50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution

Hi john46; stalemate I'm afraid - I did what you suggested and have reported line noise and find it difficult to hear people ringing me. Each time they run a test and report there doesn't appear to be a fault on the line. I must have tried this about 6 times.

I then switched to reporting very low Throughput Speed and this was eventually referred to Level 2 Technical Support but after ringing back twice after BT failed to get back to me they have closed the case and said there is nothing more they can do. I'm now left with 7kbps which is miserable and not even worth turning my computer on - I can't even run the BT Speedtest when they ask.

I have tried everything and achieved nothing except even slower throughput speed 😞

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution

Hi Coxby50,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry you’re having problems getting this sorted. I can take a look into it for you. Drop me an email with the details, you’ll find the “contact us” form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we can take it from there.

Cheers

David

coxby50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

Hi DavidM; thank you for offering to take a look into my case but weirdly there's no need!!

On getting home last night I plugged in the Cat5 Ethernet cable to the Homehub/Laptop to run speedtester.bt.com and was getting nowhere. Broadband was simply dead. I did the following in frustration:

1. Opened the CMD prompt and in ipconfig released, nenewed and flushed!

2. Reset the Network Adapter under Windows Diagnostics

3. Restarted the Homehub from laptop Hub Manager and the laptop

...to no avail. Then:

4. Plugged the Ethernet Cable into port 2 on the Homehub and disconnected if from the laptop - BINGO!

I've left the Ethernet Cable plugged into the Homehub overnight and running the laptop wireless and the throughput speed reamains good:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 912 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1280 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps

I don't know if you've done something or if it is a harware issue my end but this is amazing. I daren't unplug the Ehthernet cable but know you're going to ask me to to rule out the hardware issue! I will keep an eye on the speed over the next few days and PM you if things change.

I honestly don't know what has happened which is almost worse than not being able to sort it out, any thoughts?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution
Hi Coxby50,

Thanks for letting us know there’s been an improvement. If you need anything drop me an email, “contact us” form in my profile.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings