cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NorthstaNder
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Am thinking of getting YouView...

...but I have some questions before I take the plunge. 

• Can the YouView box be connected to my HH3 via wifi? I don't want to have to trail network cables around my living room in this day and age
  • Would I get access to the same HD channels I currently enjoy via FreeSat (namely, BBC 1, 2, Channel 4 and ITV
  • Am I right in thinking that YouView usage doesn't contribute to my Infinity usage? 
  • And lastly, is it any good!? Ie am I likely to get buffering and stuttering? (If it helps I watched the Liverpool vs Stoke match on BTSport via my laptop, connected to my TV by HDMI and it was pretty darn good!)

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Shrimper1
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Am thinking of getting YouView...

If you go into it, I'm sure you will find it quite flexible with regard to fitting into your home. For instance Bt supply a connection system via your home's electricity circuit, which I have not had reason to use yet.

Unfortunately I got the Youview box to watch the 2 Bt Sports channels, plus ESPN on both my 42 inch Panasonic plasma HD ready tv, AND my DELL computer - however @ the moment the computer screen has only been able to show  BT's prerecorded video of footie, rugby etc., BUT NO LIVE SPORT. What has annoyed me, is that this was not made clear at the time of ordering, that one had to have a 64 BIT Processor/RAM in their computer, mine is 32 BIT so no live sport on the computer. All BT customer service say is "get yr computer upgraded, or buy a new one" - as I'm also a BT small shareholder, I think that BT acted ignorantly, by not making this specific RAM requirement public, before taking the public's orders & money.

On the plus side, their TV HD broadcast of BBC1, BBC2, ITV, & Channel 4 is absolutely superb!, and the YOUVIEW's box's recording facility/capacity appears generous and easy to use. It works off my Freeview roof aerial, which enables me to still use a HUMAX satellite box that I bought a few years ago.

0 Ratings
NorthstaNder
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Shrimper, 

Freeview HD is in my area, so I would be able to watch BBC1, 2, ITV1 and C4 all in HD? 

What about the extra channels via Inifiity, are they HD as well?

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

The YouView box does have Freeview HD tuners, so it can pick them up if they are broadcast in your area.  The YouView box has no WiFi capability because it isn't considered reliable enough for streaming TV.

It's possible to use powerline adaptors to connect the YouView box to the Home Hub, however BT do not support this for the new HD channels streamed over Infinity.  That doesn't mean it won't work, but if it doesn't then BT will tell you to run an ethernet cable instead.

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

I am running it all via home plugs and get all the channels that are available via multicast. Most of the multicast channels are in SD but they are much better quality than normal broadcast channels.

Service works well. I moved from the vision + box to YouView. I am very happy with it, picture quality is better than via Sky or Freesat.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
mrjcotterill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I would want to connect my new youview box to my gigabit switch which is in turn connected to my HH4 gigabit port. Will this work?
0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Should be no problem

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

@mrjcotterill wrote:
I would want to connect my new youview box to my gigabit switch which is in turn connected to my HH4 gigabit port. Will this work?

there would be no problem with this - one of my boxes is connected via switch - originally both were until I started changing my network at home

0 Ratings