cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

An AOL/TalkTalk customer looking to move

Hey, not sure if this is the right place for this discussion but its worth a try I guess.

So I currently have Aol/TalkTalk Broadband and phone, but there service is absolutely terrible, since I took out a new contract with them last July and I have not had a stable connection, I have to reboot my router several times a day. For almost a year now an engineer comes and goes and checks the phone line quality and the results are always that there is nothing wrong with the line.

I am basically sick of calling them and was just wondering if there is any way I can change my broadband supplier without paying a fee. If I wanted to leave now I would have to pay a cancellation fee of £146. 

Has anyone experainced a service like this and if so what is the best way to proceed into changing ISP?

Many thanks,

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: An AOL/TalkTalk customer looking to move

if you are in contract then you need to speak to your own ISP as they have different T&C form BT.  I doubt you will get to cancel your contract without a cancellation fee - same as BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

As imj says, it's difficult. On the face of it you may have a case that your ISP is not fulfilling their side of the contract and you therefore have a right to cancel without penalty. It's hard to make that stick though, and if you simply refuse to pay you could be landed with problems out of all proportion to the money involved.

Most ISPs rely on Openreach for the lines, and switching won't necessarily solve your problem automatically; although Openreach is part of the BT empire, BT Retail as an ISP gets no special treatment from them. A potential benefit of joining BT is the wealth of user experience available on this forum, which manages to get a resolution for a good proportion of the BT customers who come here with issues like yours.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 4 of 6

Ah ok, thanks guys.

The thing is the day before I took out a new contract everything was working fine, I never had a problem. I took out a new contract and bang it started acting funny. It cant be a coincidence can it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

a new contract should not affect your connection just your billSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@AnotherBroadbandUser wrote:

Ah ok, thanks guys.

The thing is the day before I took out a new contract everything was working fine, I never had a problem. I took out a new contract and bang it started acting funny. It cant be a coincidence can it?

It almost certainly is a coincidence.

The various ISPs are frequently incompetent when it comes to customer service, and too cheapskate to do things better.  But I don't believe any would be malicious enough to ruin a customer's service just after that customer re-contracted.

0 Ratings