cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Analogue Phone Extension

Go to solution

Hi,

Bit of an odd question, but... I have an old GPO phone with a modern BT cable on - it works fine and looks good. My house has BT Broadband and a Smart Hub 2 - the phone is plugged into the splitter at the master socket, the other cable goes from the splitter to the Hub. All is well.

I am now setting up a workstation in the spare room like the rest of the world and want the old phone up there where there is no BT socket. Is there a way of doing this without cables, splitters and drilling? The WiFi reaches the room fine, the laptop and other devices speak to the Hub fine, in fact the GPO phone is only really going to be for aesthetics, never really used, but it's a bit tragic to have it just as an ornament and not plugged in!

Can I get a plug-in WiFi extension to the landline that has a BT phone jack to hardwire the old GPO phone into, with the plug-in device speaking to the Hub or to a base unit at the master socket?

Any pointers would be gratefully received!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Analogue Phone Extension

Go to solution

The phone needs a DC connection from the landline to work, cant get that over wifi, sorry. 😀

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

I have just done a search for "wireless telephone extender". A couple of results came back with links to Amazon that showed items no longer available, (but might be second hand elsewhere?).

Both of these devices used the ring mains as a transmission medium rather than wifi - much like powerline extenders for ethernet.

So, it might be possible to what you are wanting, but maybe in a slightly different way?

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Interesting, never heard of powerline adaptors for analogue phones before. Every day's a school day.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

BT do a digital voice adaptor that works a bit like a power line adaptor but for analogue phones. 

The master plugs into an electrical socket near the smart hub. The slave has the phone plug into it which is also plugged into a mains socket for use elsewhere in the house.

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/digital-voice/digital-voice-adapter

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Ah that looks PERFECT, thankyou!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Ah - a snag. Doesn't seem to be a product on the shop or anywhere online. I think it's a new service that isn't yet universal - there's not even a link to move your BT service to Digital Voice yet. Looks like it cannot be done!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@stepod 

Do you already have the Digital Voice service then? I took it from your first post that you had a "standard" analogue line.

According to the User Guide for the Digital Voice Adapter linked to above, it is meant to allow use of existing analogue phones on Digital Voice service - it does not appear to have an input for an analogue line. Also it looks to be just a single unit that the analogue phone plugs in to, with no master/transmitter unit, (that being the SH2).

I could be wrong, (and happy to be corrected!), but just thought that I would point it out before you buy something thta is no good for your requirement.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

the DVA if for digital voice customers as it connects back to the SH2 allowing customers to use an older analogue phone and not have to connect it directly to the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

No I don't have Digital Voice, just an ordinary broadband package with a standard landline (presumably? BT sent me a Smart Hub 2 automatically - does that mean I was moved to Digital Voice at the same time?)

So if it turns out I am on Digital Voice, how do I get one of these?

If I'm not on Digital Voice, is there no solution to the problem?

0 Ratings