cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevmuk
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Android TV steals all the bandwidth!

Hi everyone, need a little help please! My problem is that my wireless speed at home is around 12 MB which I am happy with but the minute I turn on my MX Android TV box, my speed goes to 0.1 MB on all devices connected to my network, including my android TV box! I had a home hub 2 , changed to a HH3 and have had the problem with both routers. I have trawled the internet looking for a solution but no joy, any ideas please? Thanks in advance!!
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Android TV steals all the bandwidth!

There is not much you can do about wireless bandwidth, apart from connect as many devices as possible using an Ethernet connection, and leave the wireless just for devices that have no LAN connection available.

The other alternative is to plug in an additional wireless access point, to split the load.

0 Ratings
kevmuk
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

MX ANDROID TV BOX KILLS MY INTERNET SIGNAL AS SOON AS I TURN IT ON!

Hi everyone,

had this problem for a couple of weeks now and I can't figure it out. I bought an android tv box in September and it's been working fine until a few weeks ago. Every time I turned it on, my broadband speed went from 13Mb to less than 0.5 then returned to 13 the minute I turned the box off. My broadband light would flash orange most of the time when the box was on so I presumed that my router was faulty since it was about 7 years old. I have replaced it with a homehub 3 now and I'm having the exact same problem! I've done a factory reset on the android tv box and also on my new router but no luck. I have turned off smart wireless and I am wondering if anyone knows of any setting which could be making ths happen? The weird thing is, it's not like the box is getting all the bandwidth. It says it's connected to my wireless network yet menus etc take ages to load and I can't stream anything.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance 🙂

Kev.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Re: MX ANDROID TV BOX KILLS MY INTERNET SIGNAL AS SOON AS I TURN IT ON!

I have answered this question once already, but if its affecting your actual broadband, its possible causing interference, so make sure that the TV is nowhere near the home hub, or any other phone wiring. Make sure that the home hub is plugged into the master socket and not in an extension.

Some TV, especially if they are plasma one, are known to interfere with broadband.

0 Ratings
kristo
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Re: MX ANDROID TV BOX KILLS MY INTERNET SIGNAL AS SOON AS I TURN IT ON!

hi. i have exactly the same problem.

the box seems to suck all the bandwith even if im not trying to play anything? it only allows other things to be used when the android box is turned off.

also the tv and video applications on the mxbox buffer really badly despite the decent speed of the bt broadband to the point where it is unusable.

Does anyone have an answer??

0 Ratings
asrobertson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I'm a bit late to the party I know, but did this ever get resolved?  I have a new MBox and am having the same problem no matter where I put it, internet bandwidth just falls off a cliff.  Internal LAN speed doesn't seem to be affected as I can stream from my Plex server just fine. Wierd.

0 Ratings
asrobertson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Resolved : For the benefit of anyone who might stumble across this later, change your ADSL microfilter. Problem completely solved.
0 Ratings