Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanSev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Another Infinity2 'not as fast as promised' question

Go to solution

Hi

I have recently had my infinity2 activated and I'm not getting the speed I expected, or even the minimum promised speed.

I went with BT as they promised at least 57Mb with an expected 66-80Mb

In the 2 weeks I have had this, Ookla speedtest has never been past 51Mb and BT's own diagnostic speed test sits at 47Mb.

If 51Mb is the max I can get, I want dropping to the lower pack so I'm not paying for what I'm not getting. I would rather have the extra though as I got this to stream 4k content.

Any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Another Infinity2 'not as fast as promised' question

Go to solution
Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
DanSev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I can't do the speedtest as I have a Surface pro that doesn't have an ethernet connection. I have attached the other details though and an Ookla speedtest just showed 50.53Mb download speed. connection details.jpgconnection details.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Are you using the test socket with a new filter and connect direct to hub with no phone extension cable. If not can you try that and post new stats

try quiet line test. Dial 17080 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DanSev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi

I plugged into the test socket and it has gone up to 68Mbs with upload nearly 20Mbs.

Unfortunately I'm one of these growing crowd that doesn't have a landline phone, I only have the line rental for the Broadband.

I know it's not really helping you to help me but unless I go and buy a corded landline phone, I would need some sort of alternative.

I think this would make a good case study for a growing 'demographic' of your customers? No option for a wired connection and no physical phone to test the line?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Can you now post stats from hub as you appear to have a significant improvement in test socket

being able to check for a dial tone is important as no dialtone then no internet. Checking for line noise is important especially from test socket as it eliminates your internal setup and wiring from causing the problem so you don't get charged the callout charge of £129.99

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DanSev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

router details1.jpg

Here are the router stats taken just now. I'll have to go and buy a cheap wired phone. If it does turn out ot be the internal wiring, I don't need that anyway as I don't have a phone so I can keep it in the test socket.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

There is obviously a problem with either your master or internal wiring as connection speed gone from 53mb to 73mb and well within estimate

DanSev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I think I'm starting to understand what the numbers mean now.

Given my situation of not needing the line foir a phone, is there any issue with using the test socket only?

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

You can use the test socket or as long as you want there is not a problem. It certainly does give you a far better connection and cuts out any internal problems