cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cosmic68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Another P2P throttling question with a VPN twist.

Hi there,

I'm trying to do some solid research before joining BT Infinity 2 and then turn into Whiney McWhiney when I fail to get a relatively decent download speed.

I'm an average P2P user-about 4 tv shows and 2 movies a week. I get about 400kb download from my current provider (Entanet). I was wondering the following;

I already use a VPN service to hide this activity-BlackVPN 9can recommend, very easy to use). Will the VPN service stop traffic shaping in any way does anyone know?

Also, I'm don't mind the concept of a bit of traffic shaping-it seems fair so that other users can chug along a bit more freely, but i have heard some horror stories on here of incredibly slow speeds in or out of the peak time window-haven't heard that much chatter on here lately-how is everyones P2P speeds, in and out of peak times?

Thanks for reading.

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Another P2P throttling question with a VPN twist.

Peak times P2P is horrific, down to about kbps. I believe at non peak times you can get the full whack.

I also believe that VPN's bypass traffic shaping issues.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
cosmic68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 29

Thanks for reply,

Do you use a VPN yourself?

Or anyone on here can confirm whether VPN will give me some acceptable kind of speeds?

0 Ratings
Sham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 29

hi, i was uploading at 2 mb at peak time yesterday and about the same download, the most ive seen at non peak times is 10 mb dl and 6 mb ul, using vuze, for me personally the traffic shaping issues dont effect me

edit: thought id try a vpn service i used a free one(bestukvpn), slowed my speed right down to 2mb dl, 1mb ul,(using speedtest.net) i dont know if the paid ones offer more speed

cosmic68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 29

Thanks for replying,

So the VPN slowed you down, but still to an acceptable speed-ish. IE I've heard comment on here saying their P2P activity gets throttled to speeds comparable to dial-up!

Anyone else had any VPN/Infinity experiences?

0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 29

I left 3 x 6GB files to download overnight, problem solved.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
cosmic68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 29

If anyone is interested...

I went for it and had BT Infinty installed two days ago. I'm not able to say definitively whether the VPN 'skirts' the throttling, as I haven't noticed any major throttling downloading a torrent without VPN. The highest speed i've noticed is about 2.5mb d/l with or without VPN. Rarely get speeds slower than 100kb-which although not particularly fast-could be the health of the torrent.

I generally intend to do any downloading overnight anyhow, to help keep pipes unclogged.

I'm in that ten day bedding in period, so far so good. Managing 60mb d/l speeds on the official speedtester. Get about 40mb d/l with the VPN tunnel on.

Regards.

Cos

0 Ratings
Lazarus
Contributor
Message 8 of 29

Seedbox > VPN

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 29

NZB > Seedbox.

9.8Mbit/s all day every day 😉
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Jeax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 29

@Webby: Agreed. When i had a fault on my line the woman was shocked at my 8TB downloads in one month. Apparently the most she'd seen was 400GB. 😄
0 Ratings