Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sommereader
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Another on/off arrangement with the Internet

Hi all

Have been trawling through the posts here to try to see if others are suffering my problem, and there appear to be a number of similar issues but I an not really seeing a confirmed solution.

We are a family of four operating the usual collection of 3 or 4 laptops, two playstations an xbox mobile phones etc etc.  (lots of devices to be fair) However we suffer frequent loss of connection to some or all the devices over wireless, and once it is lost I cannot connect via Ethernet, though I can reconnect any of the laptops wireless by disconnecting from my secure connection and reconnecting via my BT Wi-if  or FON connection.  This suggests the connection to the exchange is working but my HH2 is unhappy in some way. 

Now I did read somewhere here that mixing Ethernet connections and wireless is an issue, we have one of those Vodafone sure signal boxes connected to the hub and I use a wired connection for my company laptop both of which seem to work OK, except when the wifi packs in.

The only method of restoring connection to my secure wifi is to power the hub down and restart, this works for a while but sooner or later we lose connection.

My suspicion (somewhat confirmed by reading posts here) is the hub is heading for the landfill, but seek confirmation and suggestions as to the next best step. 

This is slightly compounded by being connected to an infinity enabled exchange (for over two years now!!) but not having infinity available to me or my 500+ neighbours, we sit between two infinity (nice sticky label saying fast broadband is here, but not for us!) boxes (one only 500m away the other around 1.5km) hence I have to assume we will get it sometime, so don't really want to shell out for a new hub only to then replace it again (if?) when infinity is finally piped to our estate.  (as an aside is there any way to find out when we might get infinity, all the bt online sites say it is here, taking orders etc. But our area is just not included if you actually try to order it, it would be nice to have some clue, and I am fed up with my mate around the corner with his 20Mb + connection whilst I struggle with all the above at less than 2Mb)

In summary should I replace the hub, and where can I look to get some idea if or when we might get infinity?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Another on/off arrangement with the Internet

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
sommereader
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

I will get back once I have gathered the requested data

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

just one point if you got a replacement HH3 it can be used with Infinity
0 Ratings
sommereader
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

John
That is useful to know I may go dow that route but want to be comfortable I am not wasting money where a simple fix might be available. Will get stats and speed test but will probably be Wednesday before I can post them. In mean timevany idea where I can get postcode level data on infinity availability?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

0 Ratings
sommereader
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Thanks but trid that site already just tells me the exchange is enabled and I have known that it is for two years but the 500 + housholds on our 'new' estate are not connectable I suspect because of a planning error with Bt as they have been building here for eight or more years to my knowledge and the two estates bordering ours are connected and getting the benefit of fast broadband whilst our area which also happens to be the furthest from the exchange put up with copper based broadband at around 1.5 to 2.5Mb on good days. It is very frustrating more so because I simply cannot get any information as to why the delay in expanding it to our area, but in the main we are would make good use of a lot more bandwidth
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

you could also try here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput

Within an exchange area there will be some customers who can't get BT Infinity. There are several reasons why this could be the case:

Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet.
Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service.
Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
So, even though you may be within an enabled exchange area, it's possible that your particular line may not be able to have BT Infinity yet.
0 Ratings
sommereader
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Yes yes read all that before not just my line just not in thevbt upgrade plan no planning application has been submitted to upgrade the local box so residents here just have to do without. Made worse by bt advertising and having only two exits from the estate both dominated by a big green box with a big high speed broadband is here sticker. Like I said it is the lack of information highlighted by the responses received so far to my posts. Sorrybbut I am a little fed up with the party line I want someone tovtell me when our area will receive the service that is available 500m from me and 20m fro some houses on this estate
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 16

Hi sommereader,

In john46 you have one of the best responders on here.  The other experts on here, I am NOY one of them, would only be saying the same things, so don't be disappointed by the nature or number of the responses you have received.

There are many instances where some new developments have fibre enabled and adjacent ones have not.  We have several instances in my county of Cambridgeshire but the Districts and County Council are now making it a prerequisite of granting planning permission.  Where do you live ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings