Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 6

Another problem changing Primary email address

Go to solution

Background: Following the hacking into the BTYahoo server a few years ago, only now are there signs that my account was compromised - some contacts are receiving "Help - stranded in Manilla airport" emails. So I have decided I no longer want a BT email address. I can then write and tell my contacts to ignore & delete any emails from me at my BT address.

The problem I have is that I'm the Primary email holder on my  migrated BTMail account and my wife is a secondary holder - she's happy to keep her BT address as her sub-account appears not to have been compromised. (Is this possible?)

It's taken ten weeks to get to this point but at long last a BT Help adviser talked me through what was needed and I now have my PIN. He said that when the PIN arrived I should log on to my wife's My BT page and I could then chnge her from Sub- to Primary.

The only fault is that I can't find the list of email accounts. In the good old days I'd click on 'manage mail accounts' and it would show Primary & Sub email accounts - where is that list now please?

PS What bothers me is that what the BT adviser told me to do has actually also changed my BT account details. My wife is now in charge of that. If her security fails, there's a lot of personal info accessible. I don't like this 'one ID/password' for everything.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Another problem changing Primary email address

Go to solution

Why bother going to the trouble of changing your primary email address. Just stop using it and tell your friends to treat anything received from it as spam.

Doing that will leave registered as your Primary email address by BT and all your sub-accounts will stay the same.

All you will ever need it for will be to log on to BTWifi and any other BT services such as BTSport. You can still check it now and again to see if any of your contacts or BT send you any emails.

Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hello gg30340. As is always the case, your 'outside the box' solution is much appreciated. But I have just one niggle - it was in March 2013 that the major hacking of the BTYahoo servers took place.* If my ID/log-in were amongst those compromised, is the extent of the problem restricted to my emails - i.e. does it mean that the hackers can send emails to my contacts as if they're from me? If the answer is yes, then your solution is a brilliant work-around.

On the other hand, would the hackers (may their hands drop off  Smiley Mad) have access to other areas of  my PC?

* For anyone who is unaware of this incident, there are 98 pages of posts on this thread: https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-email-accounts-hacked/td-p/796762

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
The hackers have harvested your contact list and will be sending spoofed emails that purport to come from you. They do not come from you but they make out that tgey do so that your contacts think it is trusted source.

If you have changed the password and security questions since the hack the hackers will no longer have access to the account or any of your BT services that use those details.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
I should have added it was not your computer that was hacked, it was Yahoo.
0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I've only just caught up with these. Thanks gg30340 - your 'outside the box' solution of "Why bother going to the trouble . . . " is brilliant, so simple. Thank you. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings