Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 32

Another request for ADSL(Max) to ADSL 2+

Hi Forum,

Hoping I could get some assistance in confirming the possibility of going to ADSL 2+ assuming I am on ADSL(Max) currently?

I have been on this line for 10+years and the last 2 years speed has deteriorated quite significantly. We used to be able to get ~3Mbps downstream and now only <1Mbps - I have no idea why!

ADSL 2+ suggest we might get back to those original downstream speeds.

Any advice appreciated!

ADSLCheck.jpg

HomeHubStats.JPG

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 32

Re: Another request for ADSL(Max) to ADSL 2+

you are obviously a very long way from the exchange and the speed difference in adslmax and adsl2 is small although I understand any extra is a plus  however adsl2 is less tolerant to line noise so you could find that a move to adsl2 if it could be arranged may make you connection less stable than it currently is - your connection time is only 1+ day

the one think you would get is about 100% increase in your up speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 32

Hi imjolly,

Thanks for this. We are quite a distance from the exchange.

I'd be happy to accept a less stable line for an increase in speed - do you know how I can go about requesting this?

I have had mixed service from BT dependant on the channels I go through but have had help here before and from the BT team in Newcastle which I have kept a couple of direct dials to although havent called them about this.

Ben

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 32

Not sure why you're using a Smart Hub, when they're designed for VDSL (Infinity) connections. Try a Hub 4, you may get an increase in speed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 32

I didnt realise that - I was sent that after the old hub died.

Can I request that from BT?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 32

i am not trying to put you off but if you get an unstable conenction then you can have speed reduced and end in a banded profile which didn't happen on adslmax  just trying to make sure you appreciate what could happen with the change - assuming forum mods could manage it with so little possible improvement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 32

At your distance I doubt a hub change will give you a faster speed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 32

True, but I thought the Hub 4 was more suited seen as it can't "see" VDSL frequencies.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 32

@imjolly wrote:

At your distance I doubt a hub change will give you a faster speed

The narrower bandwidth of the HH4 can help to reject out-of-band noise that the HH6 will see, especially on a long line.

This makes it less likely to disconnect, and if it does, it will be quicker to re-connect.

The other option would be to try a router which you can actually specify the connection profile.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 32

Thanks I am curious if I was on ADSL2 previously and then they moved me to ADSL max which might have introduced that banding issue already?

Is there anyway to find that out?

I mention this because someone at BT did make a change but didnt explain what it was and that was at a time when the connection was dropping which after transpired to be a cable issue...

0 Ratings