cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tigghilly
Message 1 of 7

Another slow one

Broadband always worked fine up until a week ago then suddenly not able to watch iPlayer or stream any videos - usual internet also incredibly slow.

Rang BT helpline and no joy. Tried all I can myself but really don't know what I'm doing (you may even have to guide me through how to post required info on here)!

Not just my broadband that's slow!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Another slow one

welcome to the forum

in order to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tigghilly
Message 3 of 7

Thank you, goodness I have to confess that I can't even manage what you are asking for...

I copied the link into my browser and it came up with the bt home hub page but when I click on something it asks for my speedtouch username and password - what is this? And where do I find the adsl stats?

Ran the speedtest and then lost the results, will have to wait to run again. Feeling pretty useless now!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

which speedtouch do you have?

what about where you are connected and quiet line test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tigghilly
Message 5 of 7

Download speedachieved during the test was - 79 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4480 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Was speedtest result. I've no idea which Speedtouch I have it just says Speedtouch. I also don't know where I am connecting into e.g. which socket.

The quiet line test was just that, quiet.

So sorry for being incredibly stupid, I've not had to deal with this before.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

you have a 4.4mb connection but your profile is rock bottom 135 instead of 3500 and this is the figure than controls your download speed.  this will normally reset itself if you stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days.

if your router is in this list then it will help you get the stats  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

0 Ratings
tigghilly
Message 7 of 7

Thank you once again you are being very patient. I really cannot get that router info no matter whether I try admin admin as user/password or admin/my serial number which is recommended by Kitz.

0 Ratings