Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maritz
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Another speed / disconnection issues thread

Hi all,

I'm getting quite frustrated with getting a problem on my line fixed, that's affecting both broadband and telephone service. This has been going on (on and off) since summer last year.

Using a BT Homehub 2, the connection started dropping quite frequently, and a noise appeared on the phone line - bad enough that I couldn't use it for calls as I couldn't hear what the other person was saying. After multiple telephone engineer visits (about 5 different engineers - it was an intermittent fault, so difficult to trace I believe) they narrowed it down to a section of overhead cable that was rubbing against a tree branch. It took a complaint to BT to actually get this section of cable replaced though. This takes us up to around November last year.

Since then we had a couple of months of reasonably stable service (the noise had all but disappeared and broadband was connected at a regular 2.5mbps). However recently the noise has returned on the phone line and the broadband issues have also come back (regular disconnects and low speed). Some days it disconnects every 10 minutes for a few hours, and some days maybe 5 times in the whole day.

The BT broadband technical support line ran a line test about a week ago and decided they needed to escalate the issue to a Level 2 team (whatever that means). They ran more tests and, following their script, decided that my Homehub was at fault. I didn't agree, but decided to humour them. I have a spare ADSL router, and have swapped the BT homehub out for that, with no resulting difference in connection speed or stability.

I'm currently connected at 576kbps. The ADSL router is connected directly to the test socket, and has been for the last 2 weeks. I have also tried swapping filters. Still no improvement. I called technical support this morning again for an update, and they decided that they wanted to try resetting my IP profile. When I asked them what this would achieve they said that it would fix my speed issue, my disconnection issue, and the noise on my telephone line.

Now this sounds a little bit ambitious to me - I don't see how a simple IP profile reset can fix all these issues, but I'm not a technical expert and so I'm coming to you for advice. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action to you? My view is that there is still a fault somewhere on the line or in the exchange, but they are currently refusing to send out an engineer to run tests from this end, and are telling me I need to wait up to 4 days for the IP profile reset to take effect before they will consider sending one out.

Sorry for the long post - any help or advice much appreciated. Here's some noise stats from the router (not a BT one at the moment, but as I said, it doesn't seem to make any difference which router I use).

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding(Trellis):OnOn
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):74150
Attenuation (0.1 dB):515245
Output Power (0.1 dBm):166123
Attainable Rate (Kbps):736908
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Another speed / disconnection issues thread

a profile reset won't fix your problem

is it possible for you to conenct thr HH2 and then post the adsl stats from the HH as the stats posted lack a decimal point somewhere.  The HH stats will also give a lot more details about your conenction.  please use the test socket with filter if possible as that should be your best connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Maritz
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have re-connected the Homehub to the test socket now. The downstream rate seems to have gone way up (this is the first time I've seen a rate this high since I first connected the Homehub to the test socket about two weeks ago). Just goes to show how much speed the connection loses when using internal wiring - as I said, I used to get about 2.5mbps - but that's a different issue.

My disconnection / speed issue is frustratingly intermittent, as swapping between the two different routers hasn't made any difference over the last week, with downstream rates of 1mbps or less, but now that you've asked me to do it, typically it now looks much better. Going on my past experience though it won't hold this rate for very long.

Connection information

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:00:40
Downstream6,176 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)9.0 dB / 18.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)42.0 dB / 24.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)36
Loss of Signal (Local)54
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)22
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

initially stats look ok with 6mb connection which is about right for your attenuation.  can you run btspeedtester and post results - it is having problems with download speed but will show correct profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Maritz
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

ok, here are the test results. I can understand that the profile will raise now that the connection speed has gone up, and they have remotely reset it. The problem I think though is that every so often my connection goes through a period of disconnecting with associated telephone line noise, and I still don't get what the cause of that might be.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 67 Kbps

0 Kbps500 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 67 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50 Kbps-500 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :6.18 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

as you say you just need to maintain your connection 24/7 for 3/5 days maybe sooner and your profile will increase automatically giving far better download speed.  the odd disconnection should not affect your speed or profile but a few disconnections/resets in a short space of time can give the impression of a line with problemsresulting in increased noise margin,drop in connection speed and then drop in profile

0 Ratings
Maritz
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for having a look at this. Good to know that there's nothing I've missed!

It is odd though that my downstream speed suddenly jumped up like that this morning. As you say, it's those periods of regular disconnections that have a negative effect on my speed, but I'm still none the wiser as to what's causing them.

I'll keep an eye on it, if it happens again I think I'll go through the telephone line fault reporting rather than broadband, as they seem much more willing to send someone out to test the line from this end, and I assume the cause is the same.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

if it starts to drop again then try quiet line test and see if you hear any noise.  if so you report a phone fault to 151 with no mention of broadband.  need to watch if engineer comes to your home and finds no fault then you could get a bill for the callout of £130

0 Ratings
Maritz
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Yep, that's my thinking too.

Thanks for the warning about the callout charge, and for your help on this.

0 Ratings