Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LouisY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Another why is my speed dropping query

Go to solution

I've had Infinity 2 for a couple of years now. Speed started off at 74Mb (great!) then had a couple of line faults which resulted in a drop to around 64Mb (ok, I guess) after the faults were resolved. Another 8 months down the line and the speed has dropped again to 54Mb (meh). It looks like the IP Profile on my connection is set quite low - stats as follows (just after reboot, usual uptime on the hh5 is 5+ days):

avail checker.jpgwholesale test.jpghh helpdesk.jpg

Am I being unrealistic at being disappointed in this performance?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Another why is my speed dropping query

Go to solution

your connection time is only 19min is this due to router dropping connection or manual reset or a combination of both?

your noise margin is very high at 11.3db as normal is about 6db and if you can stay connected 24/7 then the DLM will reduce your noise margin back down to 6db which will increase your connection speed

your profile is based on your conenction speed so to get a higher profile you need a faster conenction speed

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
LouisY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Quiet line test was perfectly quiet. As stated in OP, I'd just rebooted - previous uptime was 5+ days (and is usually in that region or longer, I don't reboot often). I'd noticed speeds had dropped so did a speedtest then rebooted and did another speedtest, both returning ~54Mb.

Looking at the various stats, I should be seeing faster I think, but the IP profile seems to be set to 55.57Mb.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

as I said your profile is set by your conenction speed not the other way round  to get higher profile you need faster connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
LouisY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

So I basically just have to wait and hope for a better connection speed?

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

as I said as long as your conenction remains stable the DLM will start to reduce your noise margin which will increase your conenction speed and therefore your profile this could happen over a period of weeks - noise margin coming down in stages

if you can't maintain a stable conenction then you need to investiage the reason and possibly get engineer visit

0 Ratings
LouisY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Is there anything I can use to monitor the connection stability?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

You can use a program called router stats for hh5a which works well but  I have found it appears to have a problem with Windows 10. But not tried it again for a few weeks

0 Ratings
LouisY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Perfect, thanks.

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Looks like you can download it from Here

Thanks imjolly for mentioning that, I'm going to look at this too 🙂  Is it safe to use as it asks for you to enter your router password into this software package?

BT promised to ring me back today with regards to my situation, but no surprise to say that they didn't bother ringing 😞

0 Ratings