cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Any more I can do to stop dropping connections and improve speeds?

Go to solution

you can try another but as you are in test socket I think it is something outwith your home as even with the filtered faceplate you were nowhere near the speed expected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
medusa
Beginner
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

Well I guess that is reassuring on some level, thank you, as it means they are maybe less likley to charge me for the engineer.

I will try with another filter and also a different adsl cable just in case, though it made no difference last time.

I think i'm beginning to hate technology.  It wastes so much time!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

please update after engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
medusa
Beginner
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

Well we had the engineer out.  Of course she had no idea that this was a follow up because there seems to be no form of information sharing.

She tested the wiring in the house which was OK and then ran more tests and said it was a problem with the wiring outside (which is what the other engineer had said, though he specified it was actually damp, and had supposedly sorted).  This engineer actually went up and fixed the cable connection at the pole itself, checked the box and then came back to run more tests.  She told me it was because some fixings had come loose and had obviously been that way for some time and it was amazing we even had a phone line working.  

After taking the kit back to her van and resetting my profile, she came back and did a satisfaction survey after giving a full explanation of all the work she had done and why it had to be done.  She did explain that it would take 10 days to settle down but that whilst speeds might not be up to the ones we should be getting in that period, they will be an improvement.  

I'll say!  We are now getting nearly 14mbps which is nearly double the best speed we have EVER had.

The difference between the two engineers could not be more marked.  If the first engineer had been a fraction as concientious, a second visit would not have been necessary.  I want to be able to formally commend the engineer for such good work, which is a bit sad if you think about it, because she should be the rule and not the exception.

But it is now sorted at least.  

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

that's great now you can enjoy the faster speeds

I bet there are many customers on the forum that would just love to get that openreach engineer to fix their internet connnection problems

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution
you can praise the engineer at this Openreach web page https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0a0e0c
medusa
Beginner
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

imjolly,  she was really great.  But she did nothing beyond her remit (apart from getting stuck in cow manure, but that's another issue!) and nothing the first engineer shouldn't have also done, but obviously didn't.  

We have ~always~ had a crackly phone line.  I always put it down the husband's perverse insistance on using an old dial phone.  But now it is clear as a bell, indicating that this problem with the wiring has been going on for years.  We do get extreme weather here, but really, you'd think there would be a bit more preservation of infrastructure?

John, thanks for the link, have sent fulsome praise.  I hope it rubs off as a bonus for her, she deserves it.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18
Moved:

Go to solution
0 Ratings