cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarjared
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Any range extender compatible with Homehub2.0?

I've finally swapped my HH1 for a v2.0 to see if it has any effect on speed issues I've been having since having my line was 'upgraded' - it doesn't.

The wireless signal is stronger than v1 but can still only get through a couple of the thick internal walls I have so I will still need need to extend the range (i had two Belkin repeaters working with my hh1).

Searching these forums it seems that there are no compatible repeaters for HH2 - is this the case?  Otherwise it's back to HH1 or trying to use the electrical wiring network option.

thanks help.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Mordag
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Any range extender compatible with Homehub2.0?

Range extenders are expensive and can be a lot of trouble to set-up so I upgraded to a wireless-n series router, too, to try and solve the range issue. I found that by carefully moving the PC, router and antenna just a couple of millimeters made a big difference to the signal and after spending some time marching the length of the house got a decent signal. That is, until my wife did a little dusting.

In the end I obtained a extra Comtrend Powerline device (I already have a pair for BT Vision) from a well-known auction site for about £25 and paired it to the Access Point. Works flawlessly now at the fraction of the cost for an extender. By the way, extenders will only work with WEP so if you are worried about security then the Powerline devices are the only way to go.

0 Ratings
IainHouston
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I have an Edimax EW-7416APn (currently £39 from Amazon) which is easy-peasy to set up

although I had to repeat it several times before I did exactly what the the PDF document "Setup Universal Repeater" said.

This was downloaded from the Edimax website steps you through the process.

Performance is brilliant 802.11n at 130Mbps.

You can see I'm very pleased with it.

Had it for about 9 months.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
IainHouston
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I can also confirm the Edimax EW-7416APn works with all the main security protocols. I use WPA2.
Works very well with BT Home Hub 2. I notice several reviwers on Amazon.co.uk had difficulty setting it up. All I can repeat is that I am glad I downloaded the "Setup Universal Repeater" PDF document from the Edimax website.
Other reviewers said it was sensitive to interference. I found that once I hit on the right Channel for the BTHomeHub2 then the whole extended network was very robust.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
jarjared
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

thanks all, will have a go with the Edimax

0 Ratings
Ptinid
Message 6 of 6

Just a note to thank you for your information on this thread. I bought the edimax (from Maplin) and installed it in about half an hour. Works a treat and I now get 60% signal minimum even in the most difficult part of the house.

Great help guys, thanks.

0 Ratings