cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 31

Any way of knowing for sure if your line is clean or impacted?

I've lost about 8Mbps of my connection over the last few months and the clean hand back speed is bang on what I'm syncing at (48.1Mbps). Is this just coincidence and is there any way of knowing for sure ?
0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: Any way of knowing for sure if your line is clean or impacted?

If you have always been on a clean line then it wont change sounds like crosstalk
0 Ratings
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 31

The values for what's clean and impacted have always been all over the place for my line and change regularly. The lower estimate for clean has always went way into the upper estimate for impacted and my upload has always been max the whole time I've had fttc (20Mbps for over 4 years)

I would have thought that cross talk would have been at its maximum when the cab filled up ?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

crosstalk will occur if there is another line using infinity in the same cable bundle as you it does not need a full cabinet also the checkers data is updated regularly as more line data becomes available does the checker show any bridge taps if not then you are not on an impacted line
0 Ratings
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 31

No jumpers or bridge taps according to the checker.

The cab has been full for a while so I assumed that the max level of cross talk would have been reached when the cab filled up.

I've lost 24Mbps over the 4 years I've had vdsl which is effectively a 3rd of my speed which seems like a lot for cross talk.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

then you have a clean line crosstalk can have a dramatic effect on a line
0 Ratings
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 31

So does that mean I can contact BT and ask for my connection to be cancelled without penalty due to the fact my connection is bang on the clean line hand back threshold ?
0 Ratings
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 31

Just looked at my connection again and the last drop in attainable speeds came with the firmware update at the end of July so is there possibly a bug/problem with the firmware ?
0 Ratings
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 31

So it turns out after tuning the BT fault checker I have a fault on my line.

Do BT mods not help on these forums because the amount of posts that don't seem to have a resolution is high.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

For what it's worth, my connection has an attainable rate of 15meg higher using a billion router, than it does a home hub.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings