cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Anybody using Homeplugs on Infinity 2?

Hi all I recent ly purchased two TP-Link AV200 Mini Homeplugs to hopefully get the benefit of being on a wired connection instead of wireless. Now if I wire straight into my HH3 I get 55mgs, wireless I currently get around 20mgs. Now I was hoping that the home plugs would get me nearer the 55 and I would require to run RJ45 cable all through the house! But the results I get after plugging the in are a poultry 10mgs!!!! anybody got expirence with Homeplugs? Is there anything I can do to boost this? If not I guess there going straight on EBay Cheers
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Anybody using Homeplugs on Infinity 2?

they normally work well some models are speed limited although your models are 200mb versions and should give a better speed then that
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

This is what I thought I can't understand it, I was wondering if it was something to do with the home hub? I do nt really want to sell as I will imagine I will lose some money but at the moment they are useless
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

just a thought they are on the same ring main if on different circuits that could be the problem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

I might come across a bit stupid now but how would I know? One socket is downstairs the other is upstairs.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

The state of your electrical wiring will effect speeds as well, how old is the house/wiring?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 13

I use the SAME homplugs.

I get 62 Meg to one computer and about 28 to the other (upstairs). Modern wiring in the house.

The only difference is that the upstairs homeplug has to be on a 4 way strip with the computer, printer and monitor (which is know to cause issues).

Try to make sure the homeplug has its own socket and is not on a strip, especially one with surge protection.

Let us know if this solves your problem (even if it means a longer run round a room to get to another mains plug!).

Cheers,

Rob

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

I use 200mpbs homeplugs also.

I get 75mb direct wire from router and (after a lot of messing around) I get 62mb using homeplug. At first I was only get half that speed with the homeplugs until I relised that if you are using 4 way extention leads for several appliences, it effects your speed. Try plugging the homeplug into a socket of its own, so its getting full power from the socket. Do the same with both plugs and you should get better speeds, worked for me anyway.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

wozzahotspurs,

In some buildings the upstairs and downstairs sockets are on different rings [but not all].

To do a quick test,plug a table lamp into a downstairs socket and another one into an upstairs socket and turn them on.

Then go to your fusebox and switch off the fuse switches that feed the 2 rings [if it has 2],if both lamps go out with 1 ring switched off then they are both on that ring.

If you have to turn off 2 fuse connection switches to get both lamps to go out then you have your homeplug devices on 2 rings which could cause problems.

0 Ratings