cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davechapman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Anyone achieved more than 17Mbit/s upload speed?

Hi,

I had BT infinity option 2 installed yesterday, and it seems to be working fine. My predicted speed was 69.0/20.0 and speedtest.net was showing my connection reaching 74.49 download and 16.42 upload (4ms ping).

I was happy that I'm reaching a download speed in excess of that predicted, but started wondering why my upload speed was lower than the prediction. If I reach the predicted download speed, shouldn't I also reach the predicted upload speed?

I've discussed this on another forum, and also searched a lot of other forum discussions, and it seems that no-one is achieving the advertised upload speeds.

I'm aware that the service is advertised as 76/19 (not 20, as the checker predicted), but whilst many people have reported being about to reach 76Mbits, no-one (not even those syncing at the maximum 79.999/20.000) seem to get anything more than about 17Mbits/s upload speed.

Can anyone here confirm this observation? If so, where is the bottleneck, and why are BT advertising up to 19Mbit/s, when no-one is achieving it? My understanding is that the current ASA guidelines say that the "up to" speed should be achieved by at least 10% of users.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 34

Re: Anyone achieved more than 17Mbit/s upload speed?

It's had me wondering, too - I get a solid 55megs down, so patently the line is more than capable of handling the full whack up... and yet, I get a solid 15megs up. I'm not complaining, but curious (that and the extra three or four megs would give me a tad more headroom for our webcasts.)

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 34

hi there could be 10% getting that but we will never know here or on any other forum as forums by there nature tend to carry problems very few who post on forums come here to say they are pleased indeed because they are satisfied they have no reason to even look at forums also speed tests are inherently unreliably due the load placed on the servers
0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 34

Undoubtedly - but it still makes me curious - I have seen no-one getting full chat up, even with the most accurate of speed checkers (and let's face it, BT's really ought to be accurate)

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 34

true but as i posted thousands of users never appear on forums unless they have problems and then many regardless of ISP just use the help lines it would be interesting to know though I agree
0 Ratings
davechapman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 34

@john46 wrote:
hi there could be 10% getting that but we will never know here or on any other forum as forums by there nature tend to carry problems very few who post on forums come here to say they are pleased indeed because they are satisfied they have no reason to even look at forums also speed tests are inherently unreliably due the load placed on the servers

I understand your points, and of course forum posters are not a representative sample of the general popuation, but I've not seen a single person say they get anything higher than about 17Mbits/s.  So I find it extremely hard to believe that 10% of users are achieving 19Mbits/s.

This isn't just people posting with problems, I've read threads on various forums where people post their speed results, and whllst I've seen lots of people with 75Mbit/s or 76Mbit/s download speeds (the advertised "up to" download speed), no-one has posted a speedtest with more than 17Mbit/s upload.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong if anyone reading this is getting anywhere near a 19Mbit/s upload speed.

0 Ratings
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 7 of 34

I can sometimes seed at 2.3mb/s which works out at around 19mbps. Speedtest genrally give you slower than your actualy speed, normally you should add aronund 5% to each speed test to get a ture speed, or simply just upload a file to youtube for example to find out your true speed.

0 Ratings
P4PERTR4iL
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 34

its obvious that bt are capping speeds... my attainable line stats are 61/20 but i get 35/12... im paying for infinity 2!

0 Ratings
davechapman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 34

@UrbanGrunt wrote:

I can sometimes seed at 2.3mb/s which works out at around 19mbps. Speedtest genrally give you slower than your actualy speed, normally you should add aronund 5% to each speed test to get a ture speed, or simply just upload a file to youtube for example to find out your true speed.

2.3MB/s is 18.4Mbits/s.  But that's still faster than anyone else has reported.
I've tried transferring files, and have been unable to reach more than 2.0MB/s (16Mbits/s), whereas speedtest.net gives me around 16.5Mbits/s (sometimes going as high as 16.72).
0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 10 of 34

it's not them capping speeds. it's the qos in the openreach modem, if you remove this qos (quality of service) it gives you about a meg to 3 meg more upload speed. you can only remove it by hacking the modem which you aren't supposed to do
0 Ratings