cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
speedtrip
Expert
Message 1 of 13

Anyone else seen the online Survey of BT TV / Phones / BroadBand ?

Looks like they are considering an APP to replace the STB ... it would run on many devices - including Samsung Smart TVs.

It postulated 3 flavours, all with a rolling one month contract:-

• Entertainment Plus (much like the current offering) - £7.00
  • Kids Plus - £4,50 (I think)
  • Sports Plus - £7.50

Also access to Box Sets, Movies etc ....

Interesting ...

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Anyone else seen the online Survey of BT TV / Phones / BroadBand ?

Scrapping the STB would also mean no recordings. Seems like it's something that would compete with now tv
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

@jam2000 wrote:
Scrapping the STB would also mean no recordings. Seems like it's something that would compete with now tv

The impression I got was that all recordings will be stored in the cloud. How much capacity per user would be is any guess, but they could give a nominal 100Gb or less, and then possibly charge more for extra storage.

None of the broadcasters want you to retain any recording for a long time, so there will probably be a automatic expiry time when recordings will be deleted, much like the BBC iPlayer.

Basically they will control the stored content, not you, and add adverts in the content.

0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

100Gb is a tiny amount when the boxes are 1Tb
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@jam2000 wrote:
100Gb is a tiny amount when the boxes are 1Tb

Yes, but if you were forced to watch all recorded content within say 30 days or less, or have it deleted, then you would not need as much space.

The content providers only have to keep one copy of a programme in the cloud, and anyone who wants to watch that same copy, could be given a licence to watch it within 30 days.

Control of the content will be with the content provider, which is what they always wanted.

BBC is doing that already, as you can "purchase" certain content, after its no longer on the Iplayer.

These are just my personal perspective on where YouView is going. If you do not lilke the future, then buy a FreeView PVR, and use that, until of course all content moves online, and they turn the transmitters off Smiley Sad

"There is nothing wrong with your television. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are now controlling the transmission" Quote from the Outer Limits, for those that are old enough to remember Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
ruth554422
Expert
Message 6 of 13

The new youview software is cloud based but recordings are still stored on the box. A example of where the cloud is used is the images on the recordings are stored in the cloud. There obviously not getting rid of the youview box things have been changed on them recently. People would be more fuming about the box been replaced by 100gb cloud storage and losing 900gb in space.

There is absolutely no chance there swapping to app only with a 100gb of saving space. They would end up handing all the tv customers to sky on a silver platter. Sky would be rubbing there hands together with glee.

If a app service launched it would be a competitor to things like now tv.

If they did what your suggesting it would be Comercial suicide as far as the tv business goes and the investment in youview would be a waste.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@ruth554422 wrote:

If they did what your suggesting it would be Comercial suicide as far as the tv business goes and the investment in youview would be a waste.

Its people who have paid for the boxes, all YouView have done is to work with broadcasters and ISPs, to provide a common platform for content. Now content providers want more control and more targeted advertising, meaning more money.

For apps to work, the content would have to be stored in the cloud, as uploading from your YouView box would be problematic on ADSL, and if your box was turned off when you were away from home, then the app would not work.

0 Ratings
ruth554422
Expert
Message 8 of 13

Bt are a shareholder in youview so certainly would have to pay towards the cost of running the business and I do not believe for 1second bt will be app only most people would expect to keep the 1tb box such as what sky offer as standard. It would be Comercial suicide at the end of the day because if bt abandon youview and go app only on devices they would be the only one not using a set top box like people expect. I certainly don't expect to go down to 100gb from 1tb. I also store recordings more than 30 days. What people are suggesting in this thread would lose them tv customers not gain them. I would leave if they are not offering at least one to with no time limit on recordings. What people are suggesting in this thread would turn a fantastic tv service into junk overnight.
0 Ratings
ruth554422
Expert
Message 9 of 13

That should say one tb auto correct changed the text
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

I would be surprised if it went app only. I can see an app complementing the box a la Sky tv/Now tv. Sky bring out Q, Youview try to match the 'look' with NextGen, Sky have Now tv so possible BT/Youview playing catch up again with their own app. I think app only would only push a considerable number of people away from pay tv or towards Sky. Time will tell I guess but I for one would prefer a pvr. The cloud is only giving in to advertisers and content providers to control and to 'spy' in the same way NextGen was created for this same purpose.

0 Ratings