cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colin7777
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Anyone managed to get MAC code or cancel broadband without account number

What a nightmare, typical not my problem response.

I have a phone line in my name but the broadband sitting on the line belongs to a company I used to work for.

BT Retails can not see the broadband line on my account so there is nothing they can do!

BT Business want an account number for the broadband before they will issue a MAC code.

Problem is I don't have the account information as it was set up by my previous company I worked for and I have no way of contacting them to ask them to cancel the broadband and they certainly would not give me the account number.

So there I am stuck in the middle.

Has anyone else faced this and solved the problem, I don't want a new line as the new provider wants to charge for installation and they also say it may not be possible to keep my existing phone number.

Any ideas / help appreciated

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Anyone managed to get MAC code or cancel broadband without account number

If you are not going to place an order with BT Retail, there is not much you can do, apart from contact your new provider, and ask them to sort it out.

If you were placing an order for BT Broadband and phone, then one of the moderation team would be able to help, as they could chase the progress of the order, and remove anything that is in the way.

0 Ratings
colin7777
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

But surely, that is unfair competition. They should react the same way whoever I am taking a contract with.

I'm not convinced that even if I did say I wanted to stay with BT and pay for broadband that two different sections of BT would solve the problem, otherwise they could have solved my problem anyway.

I have tried asking my new provider but they can not progress without a MAC code and BT will only listen to the bill payer.

Colin

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Who do you pay for your line rental and phone calls at the moment?

If its BT Retail, then the first thing to do would be to simply move your phone account to whoever you choose. That will break the association between the phone line and the broadband, as BT cannot see the broadband anyway, so you would not need a MAC code.

Once that is done, you should then be able to add broadband to your line, via an ISP of your choice.

If you still in contract with your phone account, then cancellation charges would apply.

0 Ratings
colin7777
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I pay BT for my telephone line rental it is in my own personal name and it is with BT residential.

The Broadband is paid for by my ex-employee under their name but it sits on my line.

The line and broadband was originally paid for by my ex-employee but when I left I took over the line rental and had the billing changed into my name, the number has always been the same. This was more than 12 months ago so if any 12 month minimal contracts existed these would no longer be in place.

I would be happy for the broadband to be ceased rather than migrated to a new supplier and as to the broadband equipment I have already confirmed with my new supplier that they will use their own equipment in the exchange and not the existing BT equipment but without the MAC code or the broadband being removed from the line the BTopenworld system them use will not allow them to progress.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Not sure if the moderators can help, especially if its a BT Business Broadband Account on the line, as they only deal with residential.

But I will ask.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are a UK based team of people, who take personal ownership of your problem.

Once you get a reply, make sure that you are logged into the forum, then click on their name, you will see a screen like this. Click on the link as shown below.
Please do not send them a personal message, as they may not be on duty for a long time, and your message will not be tracked properly.

For your own security, do not post any personal details, on this forum. That includes any tracking number you are give.

They will respond either by phone or e-mail within 5-6 working days.
Please use the tracked e-mail, to reply, not via the forum. Thanks

modpicture.jpg

This is the form you should see when you click on the link. If you do not see this form, then you have selected the wrong link.
When you submit the form, you will receive an enquiry number, so please keep a note of it

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 8

Hi colin7777,

I'm sorry this is not something that we can help with. I'm afraid we can't cease the service or provide you with a mac code as you are not the broadband account holder.  The provider you are moving to will be able to raise a tags request directly with BT Wholesale to get the current broadband service removed from the line to allow their order to proceed.

Alternatively is it possible for you to contact your ex-employer and ask them to get you the mac code or cease the service?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I suppose you could order a totally new line and broadband, provided that there is a spare pair available between the exchange and your house.

Once that is done, then you could cancel your original phone line, if its in your name.

0 Ratings