cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coffee_king
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Anyone used this Wifi Repeater with a BT Home Hub 3?

Hey all.

The Wifi signal from my BT Home Hub 3 doesnt reach into my back garden so I was thinking of getting a Wifi repeater like the below (As its the cheapest one I can find)

"300Mbps Wireless N 802.11 AP Wifi Range Router Repeater Extender Booster home"

anyone had any success/failure with such an item (or very similar)

thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Advis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Anyone used this Wifi Repeater with a BT Home Hub 3?

Can't comment on this item specifically but it's unbranded and a cheap Chinese import. Who knows how it's going to perform and where you'll go for support or firmware updates if you need one. Buyer beware. If you value your time at least read reviews on other gear out there and at least pay for something half decent.

If you've got infinity just be aware that this or any other extender will probably cut your speed significantly.

I bought an Edimax EW-7438RPN to repeat a Home Hub 4 upstairs for tablets, smartphones, game consoles, etc. It is a similar specification using a 2Dbi antenna. I have kept the Hub at default wireless settings of 130Mbps maximum. The maxmimum test speed I can get out of it is 10 Mbps either upload or download in it's final position. If I bring it to the same room as the router it's about 35Mbps download tops. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

this was done by CL Keith and may help  http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/index.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
coffee_king
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

I borrowed a friends TP-Link TL-WR702N and after a large amount of faffing around and watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJANltW4F4g

I set it up with my BT Home Hub 3 and it works perfectly.

So I've now ordered a TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps.

As it SHOULD have one touch set up with the Wireless WPS button.

I will post how I get on when it arrives.

0 Ratings
Adski
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

0 Ratings
coffee_king
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Received the TP-Link TL-WA850RE today.

Unboxed, plugged in, quickly pressed Wireless WPS button on BT Home Hub 3, then quickly pressed the button on the front of the Repeater, waited, but the RE light didnt stay on after 2 minutes.

So I started from the beginning again but this time I held down the Wireless WPS button on BT Home Hub 3 for about 1 second, then held down the button on the front of the Repeater for about one second, waited for two minutes and now the RE light stays on.

Unplugged it, moved it to where I want to keep it. Plugged it back in and waited 2 mins for it to reboot.

Works perfectly and its got one HUUUUUUUGE range.

If anyone else is having any problems I think you just need to hold your buttons down a bit longer.

For once, something that actually does exactly what it says it should do, "One touch set up"........well, Two Touch Set Up Really 🙂

0 Ratings
Lisac1768
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Just want to check does the edimax repeater work ok with the bt home hub 4?
I am having problems with a tp link repeater ...keep getting a message when browsing 'too many redirects'
Thank you
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

I am not sure about the Edimax one. But this link may help with the TP Link WA850RE.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Home-Hub-4-and-TP-Link-WA850RE-Extender/td-p/966298

0 Ratings
TB
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Ignore ......sorry. Cant delete this.?Robot Embarassed

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Do you have one SSID and password across the whole,of your network (ie. Not a separate SSD for your router and another one for the TP-link)?
0 Ratings