Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conman
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Anyone using HH 3

Hey all,

I have just ordered one off these new hub 3's to see if they are any good. My main reason is that I think the HH2 is too bulky. I'm with BT Infinity. I have the Openreach VDSL modem on the wall down low behind a cabinet where its outta sight and have a big daft looking HH2 on the table off it, but this new HH3 version looks more compact and actually pretty cool looking.

In my experience the HH are a very poor router as regard to their wireless capabilities as I had nothing but internet disconnection problems while using the wireless N and tried everything from channel changing to using different wireless cards and it just kept going off line. It would still show it as connected and I could still access files on my main computer via network but no internet access which ended up in me having to reboot the HH and because I needed wireless N for video streaming from another computer the wireless G wasn’t an option, it got that bad I ended up buying a decent set off Devolo 200mbps Home Plugs and it had been great so far and I only use the wireless for my iphone now and nothing else. Nothing as bad as lying in bed watching an episode off Fringe and it freezing ¾ ways through and having to get up and find the Hub is rebooting itself. Seems the wireless just cant handle the pressure off large file transfer via wireless.

Just wanted to know if anyone is using the HH version 3 and what are their thoughts?

Cheers

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Starman
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Anyone using HH 3

Personally speaking I had Infinity installed on Friday and the first thing I did was ditch the HH3.0 and use my Billion 7800N 🙂

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
ady199
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

I had countless wireless disconnections with the HH3 so I bought myself a Netgear WNR3500 - since then I've had no issues.

My advice is to ditch the HH3
0 Ratings
cherkhan
Expert
Message 4 of 14

Sadly, I have to repoort I have never suffered any sort of disconenction with the WiFi.....and that includes the one they instisted be replaced to further check line problems. Guess I am just lucky?

0 Ratings
conman
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

I've been reading around a few sites and it seems the HH3 has the same wireless issue plus the signal is weaker. I suppose I'm lucky in the sense that I won’t be dependant on the wireless any longer apart from using my iphone which never had any connection issues anyway. I now have the home plugs installed and only use one other PC in the bedroom linked to my TV for streaming movies off my main PC in the living room and don’t use a laptop. If the HH3 works ok with the home plugs and is a better looking smaller unit than this big black thing sitting beside my lamp I’ll be happy enough….lolSmiley Happy Just as well I live alone and don’t have kids with laptops, Xbox’s and PS3’s jamming the network, I just pity anyone who has a big family with various devices trying to get connected wirelessly with BT’s equipment. In the past the only BT equipment that ever seemed to be half decent was the Business Hub which was a Livewire router. As for the Thompson style units, they aren’t very well equipped for the multi wireless connection family. One of the main problems with the HH2 is when a device has been connected the Hub remembers that device even when its disconnected and if another device connects using the same IP address and same wireless card it locks up. Also if I open the ports in the HH2 the ports actually close and block my applications and when I reset the Hub with no assigned ports my ports are actually open and have no problems with any downloads via torrents, newsgroups or any other application which has me really baffled. I think in the future I’ll maybe invest in a half decent cable router, then again, who knows if I will still be with BT in 15 months time or even be using fibre optic, if that’s the case I  can just use my old faithful Belkin which has never let me downSmiley Happy

0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 6 of 14

HH2 - dismal. seriosly the worst ever

HH3 - very good. Not noticing any dropouts on 802.11n - usually sync at 144, dual channel (up to 300) is rare due to spectrum overcrowding.

But YMMV

0 Ratings
deadman
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Had to replace the HH with a Netgear WN3500. Excellent router in comparison. The 5Ghz and 13 channels (Instead of the 11 on HH) allows you to sit in a part of the spectrum least used and less chance of interference from your neighbours HH's/routers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
planetf1
Expert
Message 8 of 14

5 Ghz should really help a lot - a shame the HH3 doesn't have this.

note though that it DOES support Channel 13 ...it's probably excluded from "auto" and you do get an "are you sure" prompt. Possibly under advanced settings, but I have mine set to 13 for the reason you describe..

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
deadman
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Someone should stick that in an FAQ. Thanks for that tidbit. 🙂
0 Ratings
andy_finlayson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Just to confirm before i go and splash the cash on a new router.
Can i flat out replace the home hub with a generic router? The reason i ask is because i tried connecting an xbox direct to the openreach box on the wall intead of the HH and the conenction failed.

I've had troubles with wireless disconnects when set to n and continuing problems when b/g only are selected.
0 Ratings