cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougljo101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Apalling Customer Service

I moved to BT for my broadband and phone on Friday.

On Sunday, I called to get anytime calls added to my phone package and to take advantage of the Line Rental Saver option.

The operator was able to add the anytime calls to may account but transferred me elsewhere for the Line Rental Saver.

I held for ages but eventually gave up. I placed the order for the rental package from my work on Monday morning.

The fun begins ...

I got home from work to be told that my broadband wasn't working. I tried resetting, plugging and unplugging and moving the router to the master socket without success. I got on the phone to the 24/7 helpline where I was told that there must have been a miscommunication and my broadband had been cancelled. I thought that this should simply be a case of getting it reactivated but no ... I'd need to re-order broadband and, worse still - because I had an outstanding order I couldn't do this until the following morning.

I wasn't happy with this and asked to speak to a supervisor ... no joy.

I asked to raise a complaint and was eventually passed to the complaints department (where I had to listen to the complaints manager arguing with the supervisor I'd been dealing with that he hadn't said to transfer the customer).

I made it clear that I didn't find it acceptable that I would have to place another order and effectively do all the work to clear up an error that had been made by BT. The complaints manager asssured me that he would deal with everything and get my broadband service restored but would have to wait for the outstanding order to clear - he said he'd call back on Wednesday (poor service I thought but I left it at that).

I checked my account  from work this morning and saw that the outstanding order had cleared so I called the 24/7 helpline again (I got someone who spoke english this time!). That chap who was dealing with me on this occasion said that I would need to re-order to get my broadband back and I made it clear that I would only be happy if my connection could be re-instated quickly. Hi proceeded to go through all the legal speel yet again, trying to get me to pay to have a new hub delivered (no chance) even though I'd just received a brand new one 4 days previously, Then he dropped the bombshell - the activation would be 29th March. I said I wasn't happy with this and asked to be passed back to complaints ... after another lengthy hold I was eventually told that he'd get someone to call me back at work.

It's now getting on for 5 and guess what - no one's called me.

After only 4 days I'm already totally fed up with BT and they don't seem to care. Do I have a case for transferring my phone and broadband to another provider without penaly?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 9

Re: Apalling Customer Service

Hi Douglo101,

Welcome to the forum.  I am very sorry to hear of the poor experience you have had with BT.  I would like to sort this out for you.

Please drop me an email via the 'Contact Us' link in my profile. (click on my name and you will find the link under the "about me" section). Include your BT account details and the link to this thread.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
dougljo101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

P.S. for SeanD.

When I called to have Anytime Calls added to my package I also arranged for BT Privacy + Free Caller Display to be added but the operator hasn't done this. I also seem to have picked up 'Friends & Family Mobile' somewhere along the line (at a cost of £1.50 p.m.)

I'm absolutely terrified to make any further changes in case things get worse ...

Would you be able to add ...

BT Privacy + Free Caller Display

+ my three inclusive features as follows

Call Waiting

Call Divert

Ringback

And remove Frinds & Family Mobile.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 9

Hi Dougljo101,

Thanks for the reply.  I can sort this out for you no problem.

I have checked our email Q and can see your email there.  We are flat out at the moment so it may take a day or two to get back to you but I will do what you have asked.  I will drop you a reply via email once this has been done.

Cheers

Sean

dougljo101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I've just had an email from Craig informing me that, due to capacity issues at the exchange, nothing can be done to expedite my order.

My understanding regarding the capacity problems was that this related to 24Meg service.

I was informed of this capacity problem when I first placed my original order and I agreed that the 8Meg service would be acceptable. This was activated on 18th April before being cancelled in error (by BT) on 20th April. This was to be reviewed at the end of this year.

Why can the order not be expedited on this basis? (P.S. I can see the broadband line when I log into my router - I simply can't connect!- (purple/orange flashing light))

As I've stated, the order that is in place is for the wrong service anyway - I was previously on Broadband Option 2 and this order is for Option 1. The telephone package is also wrong - I had asked for Anytime Calls to be added (which is when everything went wrong) but the current order is for Unlimited Evening and Weekends.

I can't beleive how difficult BT seem to be finding it to correct their mistake without making further errors.

I would re-itereate my original question - given these errors can I switch my broadband and phone to another provider without penalty.

0 Ratings
dougljo101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

10 days on and still no firm date on when my broadband will be switched back on - although Stephanie does inspire some confidence that she will sort this out.

Just got an email telling me that my Net Protect Plus and Digital Vault aare being cancelled.

I haven't put anything into the digital vault yet but I have installed Net Protect on all of the family computers. Now my son won't even be able to use his laptop on his Uni's network without first uninstalling net protect plus and then re-installing AVG/Comodo - Just gets more and more ridculous with eacgh passing day.

0 Ratings
dougljo101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Still no mention of any compensation though!

0 Ratings
jchrisj
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Re: Appalling Customer Service

It doesn't get any better with time!  I've been a customer for years and just had to wait 5 days for BT to fix a fault at its exchange which left me without a broadband connection for the whole period.  I have been under the misapprehension that premium charges would get me premium service - big error of judgement!  I shall be looking at other ISPs - BT clearly does not value customer loyalty.

0 Ratings
dougljo101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Re: Appalling Customer Service

Pleased to say my broadband's back up and running - Stephanie's been an absolute star.

Still a couple of things to sort out but I'm now confident they'll be done.

BT now have 12months to convince me to stick with them for my telephone and broadband.

0 Ratings